Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Notices

Stare Siolo , Sucha Wola , Oles, Lubaczow area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2005, 00:24

yakimicki1
I actually ended up finding the one I had been looking for. He came in through baltimore. Ancestry.com put the manifests for that up awhile back.
Old 5th September 2005, 21:35

lichacz
I am trying to research my family from Stare Siolo. My grandparents are both from this town and arrived in US abt 1920's. My Grandfather (John Marko)came in from Canada and my grandmother (Anna Lichacz) came thru Ellis Island. Other names in the family are Napora/Schick/Stezybouelk/Dubyk and Szalay. If anyone has seen these names in their research for Staro Siolo any info or help would be appreciated.
Old 6th September 2005, 21:55

Hannia will become famous soon enough
lichacz,

There are 12+ same name villages (Stare Selo means Old Village) that could be located at turn of century.

Iwan (Ukr)/Jan (Pol) > later anglicized to John came to USA via Canada. The most popular entry point was St. Alban's, VT.

I converted Grandfather Ivan's surname to SOUNDEX - M620. This will be helpful in locating Grandfather's immigration records out of the 440+ rolls that exist.

NARA - Prologue - Prologue: Selected Articles
Where did Grandfather settle in USA upon immigration???

Where are you currently located? One can order NARA (Nat'l Archives - DC - Records) thru your local library. LDS also has records available.

Was Anna & Iwan/Jan married prior to emigration from what is Ukraine today? In the 20's, Western Ukraine belonged to Poland and immigration records would state that Grandparents
were Polish citizens.

Do you have any documentation whatsoever?

Old 7th September 2005, 02:48

Hannia will become famous soon enough
Marko & Lichacz from Stare Siolo >Lubaczow

lichacz,

Ivan/Jan Marko & Anna Lichacz from Stare Siolo> as per Galician Gazetteer, Adm District Cieszanow, Judicial/Tax, Subdistrict Lubaczow. It was predominantly a Ruthenian/Ukrainian village w/its own GC Church. The filial RC church was in Oleszyce.

You are lucky that Social Security was able to provide you w/exact place of origin as Stare Siolo >Lubaczow.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/print.a...2fnlzLCQ%3d%3d

Lamm & John, what is the LDS film number for Stare Siolo>Lubaczow???

[Edited by Hannia on 7th September 2005 at 23:08]
Old 7th September 2005, 03:25

lichacz
Greek Catholic

I know that they were Ukranian Catholic not Orthodox. I thank you for the link to the map. It is extremely helpful.
Old 7th July 2009, 00:20

jakimicha is on a distinguished road
For future reference or others interest, here is a link to land grants from Lemberg, Saskatchewan. I have been told that a book of local history of this town reports a number of settlers from Stare Siolo and the Oleszyce area. There are 2 Osiowy names on this list:
http://gent-family.com/Neudorf/Homes...udorf%20SK.pdf
Old 28th March 2014, 13:01

Brothers2_1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamm View Post
The names I am researching are: Mech, Borykso (which is what I believe your Boriska is), Woroniak, and Napora mainly. Although I plan to "connect the dots" with the whole village. The Mechs (my grandfather's mother's family) actually came from the village of Lipina, but that is right next to Stare Siolo. And I think I have taken them back as far as I could go.
The names from Sucha Wola I am researching are Gosko, Harasym, and Szalay.
My Great-grandmother, and her parents came to Canada from Lipina in 1898, and settled in Cooks Creek MB.
I was wondering if you had any luck tracing the Szalay (Szalaj, Szalji, Shalay) branch of your family and by chance did they come from the area around Stare Siolo? My Grandfather Fedko Szalaj (b.1877) immigrated from there in 1903 and settled in the Pine Ridge area of Manitoba. Other relatives were in Crooks Creek, Melrose and Winnipeg, Manitoba. I have an immigration record for my Grandfather's nephew, Wasyl Szalaj, which says that he was from Stare Siolo and he had a brother Jan in Nowa Grobal. Wasyl was enroute to his uncle Alex Bodnar in Melrose, MB. Alex Bodnar was married to my Grandfather's sister Catherine Szalaj.