Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Notices

Ukrainian adoptees

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th September 2018, 16:07

rwf is on a distinguished road
Ukrainian adoptees

Hello genealogy friends,

I recently became involved in a case that is outside of my usual sphere of research, so I'm seeking advice from other posters on this board who may have more experience in the area of Ukrainian adoptions. Here's a synopsis of events for this particular adoption case (only first names have been changed for privacy reasons):

In 1994, Mariya was born in a small town in Odessa oblast. Her sister Vera was born in 1996 in the same town. At some point after 1996, Mariya and Vera were both made wards of the state and placed in an orphanage.

Mariya was adopted by an American family in 1998 and now lives in the USA. Vera was adopted by a Spanish family in 2000 and now lives in Spain.

Mariya is actively looking to reunite with Vera. Earlier this year, Mariya was able to successfully locate her Ukrainian birth family who still live in the same town in Odessa oblast. The information that they have about her sister Vera is scant – all they know is that Vera's adoptive parents lived in Spain at the time of her adoption.

I suggested to Mariya that DNA testing might be one of the best means of locating Vera, assuming that Vera has already taken a DNA test (or will take it at some future date). Mariya has now order the testing kit.

Like most countries, I presume that Ukraine has fairly strict laws regarding the release of personal information due to privacy considerations. Do any members of this board have experience trying to locate an adoptee of Ukrainian citizenship now living in another country? Any practical suggestions for Mariya? Are there special interest groups for Ukrainian adoptees on social media that Mariya could join or post to? Any other helpful tips to assist Mariya?

At present, hiring a professional genealogist or researcher is out of the question for Mariya, due to limited funds.

Regards,

Richard

Φ!
Old 16th September 2018, 08:43

Hannia will become famous soon enough
Hello Richard.

Many countries require adoptive parents or adoption service providers to report on the child's progress and welfare after an adoption has concluded, sometimes for several years after the adoption took place. These reports are generally referred to as post-adoption reports (PARs).

In accordance with the Ukrainian Family Code, all parents who adopt children from Ukraine must provide post-adoption reports every year for the first three years after the adoption is finalized, and then once every three years until the child turns 18. This reporting must include information on the general welfare, education, upbringing, and health of the child.

Reports may be submitted by email or sent by regular mail to the Ukrainian Embassy or Consulates in Spain. https://www.embassypages.com/missions/embassy17304/

It's the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that would be responsible for PARs.

It's worth making an inquiry and asking for any available records.

There may be some nominal fees???

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp
Old 16th September 2018, 14:59

rwf is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your response, Hannia.

I passed along your suggestion to Mariya. We'll see if that produces a positive outcome.

As an aside, it seems to me that an increasing number of Ukrainian adoptees living in Europe and the Americas are searching for their birth families lately.

Richard

Φ!