Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Notices

Request for on-line Gazetteers for Galizia

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15th July 2018, 02:03

kika3_au is on a distinguished road
Request for on-line Gazetteers for Galizia

I am currently transcribing the Austro-Hungarian Army records of army personnel from Infantry Regiment 5 based in Szatmar Nemeti which is now in Romania. A proportion of these recruits were born in the A-H province of Galizia and what is now the Czech republic.

As part of the transcription project I am attempting to identify the current location/name of the birthplace of the recruits. I have sufficient digital sources to assist with the location of Hungarian, Slovak and Romanian place names (Great resources are the 1897 Dvorzak gazetteer, the Cisirik website and the Romanian Adatbank portal. Hungarian researchers familiar with Janos Bogardi's RADIXINDEX website are grateful for the easy to navigate Dvorzak Gatteer.) Hungarian Wikipedia is excellent at documenting the historical names and name changes of towns, but the 1913 gazetteer name has to be entered in order to find any info.)

I am really struggling to locate the villages in Galizia and Czech Republic. I do not speak either Polish or Ukrainian unfortunately. I live in Australia so my resources need to be digital. The issue is that the personnel records can contain the birthplace in any number of languages, German, Polish, Czech, Ukrainian, Hungarian or Romanian. As the records were written in the 1850's of course they use historical names. The records are written in German. The handwriting can be challenging.

Does anyone know of good (free) digital resources to assist me? My ideal resource would contain the historical names in local language (s) and German and also the modern day name of the village/town. A list of all villages in Galizia would also be very useful.

Your help and advice would be most welcome.

This is an example of some of the village names in the records I came across last night (Film 1186195) that perplex me. (village name, District, County, Country/Region):
Kamenika Zloczaver? Gallizien ? (Złoczów district)
Schworentz Schworentz Kauczim Bohmen
Maniarva Solotarna Stanislauer Gallizien
Gurdau Auspitz Bruner Mahren
Luzre Neubitschov Gitschin Bohmen
Alt Pattel? Alt Pattel? Budweis Bohmen
Berilan? Inglitz or Leglitz? Leitzmeritzer Bohmen
Kazeger? Neu Bidschow Litschin? (Gitschin?) Bohmen
Miglitz Miglitz Znaim Mahren
Roszbatz Eger Eger Bohmen

Regards
Kika