Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Ukrainians in Concentration Camps

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th February 2018, 22:47
zarjacks is on a distinguished road
Iwan Zarycki

I see I misspelled Iwan Zarycki's last name! Now Corrected.

Originally Posted by zarjacks View Post
Thanks, Hannia for your response. Repuzhintsy is my mother's native village. Her maiden name Zarecki.
My Dad's native village is Kasperivtsi, on the Seret River, north of the Dneister R. and his name was spelled Zarycki. Very confusing I know.
Iwan Zarycki was my father's younger brother. He was born in 1915 in Kasperivtsi son of Josef and Anna (Spodaryk). He was in the Red Army and captured and imprisoned by the Germans in 1942 along with 2 others from his village, K.M. Kolokailo and Vasyl Bohutsky. After the war, Kolokailo returned home as an invalid and said that Iwan and Bohutsky died in captivity in 1943 from starvation. He died shortly after returning home. Iwan's last letter to his mother was written before capture from East Prussia. I have assumed he was imprisoned and died in one of the crude barbed wired camps in East Prussia. My objective is to find some trace of a military record and determine where he died. I know he was only one of thousands or millions, but he was special to my father so I'd like to do my best. This information that I have obtained came from a nephew of my father in the village. I wrote to him about 8 years ago. He has since died.
Thanks for any help you or others can provide.
Ruth Zaryski Jackson