Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Notices

Holowenko/a Roots - Wietlin, Poland

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 6th February 2017, 23:04

AmandaDC is on a distinguished road
Holowenko/a Roots - Wietlin, Poland

Hello everyone!

Andriy has just assisted me in completing much research on my Holowenko/a // Woytas (Wojtas) ancestral roots from Wietlin (then Ukraine, now Poland). He did a wonderful job and highly recommend his services!

I do have a question though, and Hannia had helped me in the past track down some existing family on the other side of my tree that still reside in the Ukraine (and I still Skype with them today - it's now approaching 2 years)...maybe you can help again??? How do I go about searching whether there's existing Holowenko/a families still residing in Wietlin?

There was a half brother of my great grandfather that was born in 1881 and who appears to have been 17 at the time the rest of the family came to Canada -- he was not on the ship manifests when they came to Canada so I can only assume he stayed behind (or passed away before they left). His name was Andreas Holowenka and the Holowenka family resided at house 113, Wietlin.

Also, is there a "find a grave" site for different cemeteries in Ukraine/Poland? Canada has a find a grave site where there are volunteers within the area of cemeteries who take requests for photos of the resting places? Does this exist?
Old 7th February 2017, 02:11

Hannia will become famous soon enough
Happy New Year Amanda!

One of our members, sylvie w/her husband, Lorne, has traveled extensively throughout Ukraine and the Polish borderlands. She collected telephone books in many places they visited. Send her a PM - personal message and ask her to perform a look-up for you. If my memory serves me, your ancestral village is in the Podkarpackie wojiwodstwo/region today.

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp
Old 7th February 2017, 14:51

Has anyone told you recently how wonderful you are?! You're the first to help people out -- thank you AGAIN so much! will send a PM right now!
Old 7th February 2017, 17:39

I was able to ascertain that after Operation Vistula, the only person to return to Vitlina was a Yaroslav Dzunich. He returned w/his father and rebuilt their house. The village was completely burned down by the Poles.

Village descendants from Vetlina are scattered between Bialo Yar > Siberia, Ivano-Frankivsk and Ivanivka > Kyrohorod.

Using simple English, you can write to Village Administrator in Ivanivka and make an inquiry re any extended family that might have survived and ended up there. Copy address as is:

Φ

-
-UKRAINE

æ, !

Last edited by Hannia; 7th February 2017 at 17:55.
Old 7th February 2017, 19:24

So Vitlina is the same was Wietlin, Poland? When I search they appear to be different locations...
Old 7th February 2017, 19:35

Vetlyna [Rusyn] Wetlina [Polish]

Wietlin (Ukrainian: , Vetlyn) is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Laszki, within Jarosław County, Subcarpathian Voivodeship/Podkarpackie Woiwodstwo, in south-eastern Poland. It lies approximately 7 kilometres (4 mi) west of Laszki, 10 km (6 mi) east of Jarosław, and 58 km (36 mi) east of the regional capital Rzeszów.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...on_map.svg.png

æ, !

Old 8th February 2017, 03:01

This is where the confusion comes in...

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Wetli... 7725ecb47!3e0

Wetlina appears different to me than Wietlin...