Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Notices

Zolotarevo Ukraine , surname Hajdu.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd November 2014, 08:11

evalliere is on a distinguished road
Zolotarevo Ukraine , surname Hajdu.

Looking for relatives of my grandfather Gyorgy Hajdu, born march 5 1893/1894. From Otvosfalva Maramaros Hungary, now Zolotarevo Ukraine . Father name is Peter Hajdu, mothers name Maria Ondreko. Ellis island info arrived 1910 . I don't even know if any relatives are still alive in Zolotarevo . Any help would be appreciated.
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:14

sylvie is on a distinguished road
Try:
1. Stepan Haidu, son of Vasyl, born 1927

. 5

UKRAINE

2. Mykhailo Haidu, son of Vasyl, born 1938

. Φ 77

UKRAINE

Anton Haidu, son of Anton, born 1941

. 4

UKRAINE
Old 4th November 2014, 15:17

Hannia will become famous soon enough
Today selo/village ZOLOTARYOVO (coordinates 48.12-23.30) > Khustskij (Khust/Chust/Huszt) raion/district > Zakarpatska Oblast/Region > Ukraine (abbr UA), latest zip code for village is 90441.

At turn of century Zolotaryovo was called OTVOSFALVA > Tecso jaras/district (district seat was Urmezo - today Ruske Pole)> Maramaros (Hungarian name) Megye/County > Kingdom of Hungary/Austro-Hungarian Empire.

http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/maramar.jpg

The village was founded in 1414. Legend has it was named after the gold mines in the nearby hills. ZOLOTO is word for gold in several Slavic languages. Today the picturesque village is located in the midst of some very beautiful land preserves. Consider making the trip. I never miss a side-trip to the Carpathians, whenever I am in Ukraine.

Photo-gallery from Zolotarevo site
Фотогалерея :: www.zolotarevo.com.ua
--------------------------------------------------------------------
At the turn of the 19th century your ancestral village of 1400+ was predominantly Ruthenian/Rusyn w/its own Greek Catholic Parish. The filial Roman Catholic Parish was in Huszt.

At turn of century your ancestral area was referred to as Maramaros (Hungarian name) / Maramarosh (Rusyn) / Marmures (Romanian). Later Marmaros (Czechoslovakian for short term 1938-1939***). Today genealogists refer to it as No Man's Land, as it is still difficult to research***.

After WW1 (1919), the Allies joined the area of Slovakia & Karpatho Ukraine w/Austrian provinces of Bohemia, Moravia & Austrian Silesia to form the Czechoslovak Republic/CSR. (If I am not mistaken this immediate area during WW2 was then turned over to Romanian, then incorporated into USSR (Podkarpatya) as part of Ukraine.

The Subcarpathian Ruthenians

Carpathian Ruthenia: Information from Answers.com
===============================================
***Metrikal materials/church registers are available thru inquiry in Zakarpatska oblast Archives in Uzhorod. A few yrs ago the Director was accused of corruption. I suspect he is still there. Hopefully with the new lustration laws, he won't be much longer. Since inquiry to nationals researching their own families is available at no cost, should you find surviving family (based on info Sylvie provided - you will) have them do the research. Suggest that you pick up any fees.

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Last edited by Hannia; 5th November 2014 at 14:07.