Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Notices

Ukrainian roots are being uprooted -

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 7th December 2013, 15:50

Hannia will become famous soon enough
Ukrainian roots are being uprooted -

Isn't it odd that given what is been going on in Ukraine for the last four days, there is no mention in these forums?

Shame on Ukraine.com and its current membership.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...mbers/h58Fz30V

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/05/wo...ests.html?_r=0

Defying protesters, Ukraine's Yanukovych meets Putin on pact | GlobalPost

Explainer: What exactly is going on in Ukraine? - Yahoo News UK

Brama - Gateway Ukraine, UkraiNEWStand and Community Press
----------------------------------------------------------
I am sure it won't be long before this thread is censored and taken down by the russiphile moderators here.

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp
Old 7th December 2013, 18:40

stephencureatzj is on a distinguished road
Thank you Hannia for posting these articles!! I too have been following what's going on in Ukraine. I'm a third generation Ukrainian Canadian, and the language has been lost with my grandfather and I'm desperately trying to pick it up for the sake of my son and daughter. My great grandfather came here in 1899 and left behind turmoil and his family, and if he only knew just what his departure meant for this family here....we never went through the Holodomor, or WW2, and all the years of fighting for it's freedom even up until this very moment, we have not had to endure that. As I try to understand what's going on in Ukraine, because I'm so far removed from it, I cannot help but feel a deep sadness that penetrates my blood, the same oppression that is occurring in Ukraine isn't different for many of the Ukrainian families here in Canada, including mine that lost their roots in the early 1900's as they were forced to work camps in WW1, and then not allowed to speak the language. Canada has come a long way since then, and we have a thriving Ukrainian community, but it isn't easy for all of us with Ukrainian heritage, some families didn't lose the language that mine did.

I say all this just to highlight how appreciative I am toward Hannia. These posts simply scratch the surface for helping educate someone like myself on what's happening to my family in Ukraine that I've never met face to face after 70 plus years of lost contact. I'm in contact with them because of people like Hannia who helped me look in the right places and learn enough about my roots to sincerely search them out and have great success in doing so. I want to understand who I am, I want to understand what's going on in the homeland I've never known.

Hannia, once again, I'm grateful for your input. You haven't posted on here in some time and it is so good to see your name grace the pages of this forum. I do hope that for all of us searching for our roots that we will see more of you here, as your are an incredible woman and an amazing resource to us all. My prayers are with you, and with Ukraine as the fight continues.

"We pray you, God Unique, watch over Ukraine, and with your kindness and gifts endow our people. Give us freedom. Give us good fortune. Give good light. God, give happiness to the people and many, many years of life"!

"Ukraine will never die, nor its glory, nor its freedom. Young brethren, good fortune will yet smile on us. Our foes will perish like dew in the sun, Brethren, we shall yet govern in our country........We shall give our soul and body for our freedom...".

Blessings to you all!
Old 7th December 2013, 21:15

ukieoz is on a distinguished road
Hi Hannia
As far as I am concerned you wrong I am very active in Ukrainian affairs especially in Fb This board just struggles through and has been like that for sometimes But Thank you for posting interesting things and renew interest in all things Ukrainian including nasty politics but as always Russians only impose temporarily then another round of fighting will follow sooner or later right now is Euro Maidan and I am here with you all .
Old 8th December 2013, 12:46

Sandra Merchant is on a distinguished road
I'm watching this very closely, as a friend and I are hoping to visit our ancestral villages in Crimea this coming May. We have many friends and relatives with ties to Ukraine, especially Crimea and western regions.
Old 8th December 2013, 21:07

Please consider signing White House Petition, notwithstanding your ethnicity or citizenship. Thank you !

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...mbers/h58Fz30V
=======================================================

Kiev Protesters Toppled Lenin Statue

æ, !

Last edited by Hannia; 9th December 2013 at 00:01.
Old 8th December 2013, 23:56

Ukraine’s capital, Kiev, is the epicenter for increasingly violent protests over what many see as a fight for the future of the country. The protests, which began in November and brought hundreds of thousands into the streets, were sparked by President Viktor Yanukovych's decision not to sign an association agreement with the European Union, after coming under intense pressure from Russia.

Moscow, pointing to deep linguistic, economic, and cultural ties, sees Ukraine as part of its historic sphere of influence, and aspires to include Ukraine as part of a new economic trade bloc called the Eurasian Economic Community. Many Ukrainians, chafing under what they see as Russian patronizing imperialism, have hoped membership in the EU, or even in NATO, would help counterbalance Russia’s influence, and bring greater prosperity.

- Mike Eckel, Staff writer
-------------------------------------------

Ukraine protests: Not quite a million, but no end in sight - CSMonitor.com

æ, !

Old 10th December 2013, 20:54

Ukrainian Jews Join Nationalists in Protest of President Viktor Yanukovych – Forward.com

NDP calls for protection of democratic rights in Ukraine | Canada's NDP / NPD du Canada

æ, !