Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Notices

How to obtain Birth/Marriage Certificates

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5th June 2011, 10:11

sea is on a distinguished road
How to obtain Birth/Marriage Certificates

Dear members of the forum,

I would like to obtain birth and Marriage or Civil registration certficates of my grandparnt born at 1909 and 1914 in former Poland, today Ukraine.

Will appreciate any advice, to whom should I address and what are the procedures.

Thank you.
Sea
Old 10th June 2011, 14:22

Jiggy is on a distinguished road
Sea,

I am not able to offer you advice on this but just wanted to bump this up so that it does not get missed. Some of our regular forum members (and very knowledgeable in this area) are not here right now. Hopefully they will be back to assit you. Also, if you read through some of the posts I am certain this question has been answered before. You can use the serach features entering different key words and see if you find what you are looking for.

Sandra
Old 11th June 2011, 04:59

SurnameIndex is on a distinguished road
Specifying a city/town/village would help significantly. I.e. someone might know whether records exist.
Old 29th June 2011, 11:47

sea is on a distinguished road
Question Finding Civil Registration of Marriage

Dear Members of the Forum,

I will appreciate yur personal assistance as I am trying to find ANY kind of record or documentation of marriage of my Grandparents.

My GrandFhather was born in 1909 in Kamien-Kashirski, Vholynia oblast, Ukraine (former Poland) .
My GrandMother was born in 1914 in Hoszczca / Gosha, Rowno/Rivne district, Ukraine (former Poland).

They got married on 1935 in Hoszczca / Gosha.

Any kind of documented civil registration will do, even a letter of archive or ZAGS or population office.

Your advice and assistance will highly appreciated.

Tried many archives and ZAGS (RAGS) archives and offices.

Thank you.
Old 29th June 2011, 20:30

vouri is on a distinguished road
Can hardly wait for the numerous responses to this thread solving the on going problem of Birth Certificates....
Old 1st July 2011, 12:00

matera is on a distinguished road
Hello.

I'll try to answer your questions.
The records up to 1933-1939 (depending on the region) are kept in the State Archives of Ukraine. Further records can be found in RAGS.
Civil registration was carried out by the church on the territory of the Soviet Republic of Ukraine until RAGS were organized in 1919-1921. They were the tools helping to separate the church from the state. Some churches kept recording for some time but e.g. the cemetery administration would not allow to bury the deceased without the document issued by local RAGS.
Civil registration was realized by churches on the former Polish territory of Ukraine until 1939-1940.

Sea, there were several churches in Kamin'-Kashyrs'ky.
- The Nativity of Blessed Virgin Mary Church.
The records since 1842 till 1933 with several gaps are available in State Archives of Volyn Oblast. 1909 is available for sure.
- The Church of Holy Prophet Elijah
the records of 1835-1933 with several gaps available too. 1909 is there as well.
- Some Kamin'-Kashyrs'ky citizens belonged to the parish of Transfiguration church in Nujno village. Records of 1829-1932 are in Luts'k Archives as well.

The copies of records can be obtained by inquiry at Luts'k Archives:
Address: 21 Veteraniv Str., (building 1)
37 a Glushets Str., (building 2)
Lutsk, 43024
Tel.: +380(332) 25-75-33, 25-79-82, 25-71-45, 272-21-67
Tel./Fax: +380(332) 25-71-60
E-mail: info@davo.voladm.gov.ua
Web page on the web site of Volyn Regional State Administration:
http://www.voladm.gov.ua/struct.php?id=112

Goshcha records are in Rivne State Archives:
Address: 26-a Stepan Bandera St.
Rivne, 33014 (building 1)
8 Kavkazka St. Rivne, 33013 (building 2)
Tel. +380(362) 23-42-61, 22-34-15, 23-41-74,
26-69-76, 23-42-54.
E-mail: daro@icc.rv.ua
Web: archiv.rv.ua

You can send them an e-mail. They will do the research and send you the bill for the research and the copies. Make sure you provide them your postal address. As far as I know, it could take up to half a year. The problem is they have some complicated procedure of sending the copies abroad through central Kyiv Archives.
It can be faster if you give the postal address of someone residing in Ukraine who could forward you the copies. Still, I'm not sure, you'd rather consult them on the procedure by e-mail. Sending an inquiry by snail mail is slow but it makes sure you do get your response because all the incoming letters get registered. They would be obliged to reply. E-mails are not registered.

It's more complicated with RAGS. As far as I know, there are two ways to obtain the certificates.

#1 - Contact the nearest consulate of Ukraine in your country. They consult you on obtaining documents, making an application and sending it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs settles the matter with the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine, the Ministry of Justice contacts the local body which orders RAGS to do the research and make the copy. Finally, you get the result after the reverse process finishes

#2 - Write an inquiry directly to the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine:
ii i
or even to the local body located in Oblast center:
ii i

Regards,
Andriy

P.S. Please do not look at my signature about happiness below after you've read the information on RAGS
Old 1st July 2011, 12:15

matera is on a distinguished road
Sea,
I just forgot to tell you. If you decide to contact the archives, make sure you specify whether you want
- just a copy and information on your relatives or
- the official copy of the document