Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Notices

Potochyska - Woloszczuk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:28

Location: Born and raised in Sudbury Ontario and lived mostly in Ottawa, Toronto and Michigan (USA) in my adult life
rwoloschuk is on a distinguished road
Potochyska - Woloszczuk

Hello

This is a new thread related to my father's family (WOLOSCZCZUK, WOLOSCHUK), who lived in Potochyska (Potochysche) near Horodenka, which was close to the major centres of Chernivtsi and Ivano-Frankivsk, and was positioned along the Dniester River.

The only close relative that I'm aware of that still may reside in Potochyska is either Anna or Sophia Horichok. I recall my father corresponding with someone named Anna Horichok. She may have been a half-sister. I also have a more recent note from a cousin, with the name Sophia Horichok, and the number "285813". Could that number be a phone number?

The attached photo was taken in 1978 when we visited Potochyska with my mother and sister. The woman on the left with the blue sweater and black kerchief was, I believe, Sophia Horichok, but I'm not certain.

I am told by my cousin, who did some extensive research of his family, the Mateykos, from the same village, that the house number of my father when he lived there was #5.

My father emigrated in 1930 to Canada.

I am asking if someone can verify if an Anna or Sophia Horichok still resides in Potochyska, and if so is related to my father Roman Woloszczuk,; what that 6 digit number (285813) may be; and if house number #5 still exists and who lives there.

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
potochyska-woloszczuk-woloschuk.ukr.1978.001-med2.jpg  
Old 3rd February 2011, 16:02

IreneLviv is on a distinguished road
I read in Interenet - in an article posted in 2010 -
that in Ivan Franko Home for elderly people in TORONTO lives Kateryna Pidzametska from Potochiska - she is 105 years old- but remembers all the events in her life perfectly.

There is a whole lot of Voloshchuk and Horishok families in Potochyshche - Sophia born in 1922 among them
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:05

Location: Born and raised in Sudbury Ontario and lived mostly in Ottawa, Toronto and Michigan (USA) in my adult life
Hello Irene

I knew the Pidamecky family - there were some who lived in Sudbury. Mrs. Kateryna Pidzamecka died a few years ago unfortunately in Toronto...Vichna Yim Pamyat. She was featured on a TV article in 2006 for a Ukrainian TV program, and that may have been the item that was posted on the internet

There is another woman from Potochyska - Mrs. Fedak (that name appears on my father's birth certificate) - who resides at a senior's facility in Toronto, and whom I plan to visit in March. Also, another lady, Mrs. Semeniuk, who lives in Ontario and who I remember was a close friend of my father. Her late husband also knew and visited the Mike Majowsky fellow I spoke of in another thread, the recluse who lived on some land near Sudbury.

Richard
Old 3rd February 2011, 22:12

This might be a phone number in HORODENKA. Will try tomorrow.
Old 4th February 2011, 10:50

Re phone number -this is neither Horodenka, nor I-Frankivsk
THey do not know in the village council who might have relatives in Canada - too many Horychoks there
Dhey do not use the old houses numbering system and do now know which is house #5.
I can send them the photo - what do you think Richard??
Old 4th February 2011, 14:15

Hi Irene

Once again, thank you your efforts.

Yes, I would appreciate if you would send the photo. Someone may recognize the woman whom I believe to be Anna Horichok.

Here is some more information.

I've also attached two other items, including a detailed map of Potochyska indicating the locations of the childhood home of my father Roman Woloschuk (Волощук) and his sister Sophia, and the home of a Mateyko household..

Sophia Woloszczuk married a Tomas Mateyko (Mateyko, Матйуко), who either also lived in Potochyska or a nearby village. They had two children, Taras and Kateryna. Sophia, Taras and Kateryna immigrated to Canada in October 1928 aboard the ship Montroyal and settled in Sudbury with Tomas.

I've attached an early photo of Sophia and Tomas.

Taras Mateyko died many many years ago, and it is his son Peter Mateyko who has done a lot of research on the Mateyko side. The map that I've attached comes from his genealogical collection.

Kateryna Stos (nee Mateyko) was our closest living relative in Sudbury until she died in 2004, and she took great care with overseeing the welfare of both my parents after my sister and I moved away from Sudbury. We still frequently visit her husband Peter Stos, who is 92 and living independently in his own home despite two bad hips. His hobby, aside from cooking and baking, is making Ukrainian crafts which he sells at Ukrainian bazaars. It is Peter Stos who gave me the name of Sophia Horichok and that 6 digit number. His wife Kateryna still corresponded occasionally with Sophia Horichok. Kateryna died in 2004 while my sister and I were all away for my daughter's marriage, and so unfortunately we were unable to attend the funeral.

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
potochyska-woloszczuk-matejkohouselocatorinpotochyschemap1.jpg   potochyska-woloszczuk-thomassophiamatejkocirca1919-2-.jpg  
Old 4th February 2011, 16:53

Richard pse send me the photos in better quality ( at least 100 kb) to my email