Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Notices

Potochyska - Woloszczuk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd May 2013, 12:23

RonWoloschuk is on a distinguished road
Woloszczuk

Hello, My name is Ron Woloschuk living in Burnaby BC and originally from the Yorkton/Melville area in Saskatchewan. Richard (or anyone else) - not sure if we have an ancestral connection but thought I would communicate just in case. My great grandparents Dmytro (1862-1934) & Maria (Rurak) 1867-1931) Woloszczuk immigrated to Canada in 1900 sailing on the Arcadia from Hamburg on May 19 and arriving in Halifax on June 1900. They arrived with 3 children including John the eldest b. 1889 who was my grandfather. They were granted a homestead near Yorkton later that year, had several more children and most of the Woloschuks in the Yorkton/Melville area are their descendants. Despite having all those Woloschuk cousins I am having difficulty finding out where in Ukraine they originated from. Since they were farmers they probably did not live in Potochyska itself but possibly in one of the nearby villages. We are touring in Ukraine in June including Chernivtsi & Ivano-Frankivsk and are hoping to at least visit the village or area they came from.
I regret not doing my research years ago when some of my grandfather's siblings were still with us.
Ron
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:11

Location: Born and raised in Sudbury Ontario and lived mostly in Ottawa, Toronto and Michigan (USA) in my adult life
rwoloschuk is on a distinguished road
Hello Ron
yes, sadly, sometimes we wait too long, and the family and relatives who may have had good knowledge of our ancestors and life in Ukraine have all passed on.
I know that there are several Woloschuk families (Woloszczuk) in the village of Potochyska, which is a small village. That area was the source of a high number of immigrants to Canada, and many of then landed in Sudbury Ontario where I was born. Certainly I'm sure that several made their way out west as well. I am not aware of any Woloschuk relatives of ours that lived in Yorkton, or anywhere out west for that matter. My father spoke very little of his family and his parents. His only biological sister Sophia also lived in Sudbury, and she and her family were the closest relatives we had. He communicated with many other former residents of Potochyska, but none with the name of Woloschuk.
In Sudbury, there was another family of Woloschuk (not related) from the same village, and we were just casually connected and not close. That family may have more of a direct connection to you, but at the moment I'm not aware of how to contact them. I believe they live in Toronto. The last I heard the mother was still alive and living with her son (Roman) I believe in Toronto. I will be staying in Toronto for a few weeks beginning in mid-May and will try to connect with them. If I get any more information I will post here again.
I am assuming that you have no documents from your great grandparents, such as a passport or military service documents which would help in determining their origins. Also visiting the LDS family centres and doing a search of the records there may help. As well the landing records and ship's records usually indicate from where they came, and possibly names of people that sponsored them or were contacts.
I have not visited the LDS centres as yet to do a more determined search, nor have I dug any deeper through other sources. It's simply a time issue. Genealogical pursuits can easily take over one's life and suck up all one's time. I had a lot of help from members and researchers on this site, some of whom live in Ukraine. It's surprising how much benefit can be received from these generous souls once you post your inquiries on this and other genealogical sites.
I do have many relatives on my mother's side (nee Radon) from the Yorkton area. My mother was a descendant of the Karazub family (on her mother's side) and so we were connected to the Sudeyko family in Yorkton and Roblin MB through marriage of one of my mother's first cousins. I visited the Sudeyko homestead there in the 1960's.
I wish you well in your search and, as I said will post again if I connect with the other Woloschuk family from Sudbury (and formerly of Potochyska) of whom I'm aware.
By the way, I'm not sure if you have made your travel arrangements as yet, but I can recommend the Hotel Nadia in Ivano-Frankivsk. The prices were very reasonable, and the rooms clean and modern. We stayed there 2 years ago.
Old 3rd May 2013, 16:49

Woloschuk/Woloszczuk

Thank you, Richard,
Appreciate the quick response. We are actually visiting family in the Yorkton/Melville area for the next two weeks so will once again talk with cousins and a couple of aunts to try and learn a bit more. I did retrieve the the immigration ship manifest, my great grandfathers homestead application and a 1911 census record and hopefully this new info will help refresh these relatives memories. Will let you know how I make out. Incidentally Hotel Nadia is one of the hotels we will be staying at during our Tour in in Ukraine.
To be continued, Ron
Old 7th May 2013, 16:06

sylvie is on a distinguished road
Hello Ron,

Now, Potochyshche = ; Potoczyska (when under the Austrian Empire). Woloszczuk (Polish); Voloshchuk (Ukrainian); (Cyrillic).

My dads village, Semakivtsi (˦æ) neighbours Potochyshche... 4 kilometers away. Coming from Horodenka, you would go start ahead to Semakivtsi, the road right goes to Potochyshche.

There are still Woloshchuk/Woloszczuk's living in Potochyshche, many born in the 30's. Last September, one of my cousin's great granddaughter married a man from Potochyshche, actually my cousin's granddaughter's husband is also from Potochyshche. This village now has internet. I can more than likely get some information for you, before you go, if you contact me. I have been to Ukraine and in that area, many times... going again in the fall. There was/is a retired priest in Potochyshche with church records at his home. If he is still living, he may assist you with information, if you donate a few $'s forward the church, or him. When I visited him, he had received these books, that were hidden during WWII, in the steeple of the church. They found them when they were knocking down the old steeple, doing reconstruction. I went to get some information from him, for a man living in Ontario, I think, Sudbury.
Old 26th May 2013, 16:43

Woloszczuk - Woloschuk

I have now met with relatives in Saskatchewan and have confirmed my great grandparents Dymetro and Maria (Rurak) Woloszczuk actually immigrated from Mamaevci (formerly NovoSilka) very near Chernivtsi. They arrived in Halifax in June 1900. We will be briefy visiting the village of Mamaevci on June 19 and if anyone can help with any ancestral information it would be most appreciated. We will have an interpreter with us as my Ukrainian language skills are virtually non existant.

Ron
Old 30th May 2013, 04:28

sylvie is on a distinguished road
Ron, here are a few names. I wish you a very sucessful and safe trip... enjoy it!

Woloshchuk () in Mamayevtsi/Mamaevci (I).

, 22, æ,
Vasyl, son of Ilko, born in 1953, living on 22 Sonyachna St.

, 4, æ,
Vasyl, son of Dmytro, born in 1946, living on 4 Myru St.

, , 25, æ,
Kornyl, son of Vasyl, born in 1945, living on 25 Danyla Halytskoho St.
Phone number: 96708
--------------------------
Rurak () in Mamayevtsi/Mamaevci (I).

– 29, æ,
Vasyl, son of Mykola, born in 1969, living on 29 Myru St.

- 12, æ,
Dmytro, son of Mykola, born in 1977, living on 12 Myru St.

There is a Mykola, son of Vasyl, born in 1940, living in Mamayevtsi, I have no address for him.

There is a Yurii, son of Vasyl, born in 1976, living in Mamayevtsi, I have no address for him.
Old 15th January 2015, 01:49

WmWoloschuk is on a distinguished road
Woloszczuk/Woloschuk Potochysche connections

Hi Richard. I am William(Vassyl) Woloschuk(Woloszczuk) born in Sudbury. I am the youngest of three brothers one of whom you refer to in your posting. Roman, my eldest brother indeed lives in Toronto, as does my brother Walter (Volodymyr), my mother Eva (nee Salabyj/Shala clan from the Yavoriv area (selo Lisnowice) and I. My mother is 91.
My father Stefan passed away 15 years ago, and along with his brother Nicholas (Nykola) who lived in Toronto, married to my aunt Nadia( a Byelorussian by birth) had two daughters - Luba (Rowley) and Patricia. Other names familiar to me from Potochysche from Sudbury? - Wasyl Prociuk; Petro Fedak (who later settled in Midland, ON) Kuryliw; Zubal and many more. These were all known to me as "Silchany"". The names: Mateyko, Stos, Semenuik and Pidzamecky? all very familiar to me. I distinctly remember hearing that they were very distantly related to us. We would visit them - especially Semenuik who as you know, lived near Sudbury. Mrs. Pidzamecky (Thorold ON) and not the Sudbury family and,not her mother who died at 101 in the Ivan Franko residence coincidentally lives three doors down the hall from my mother in St Demetrius Residence as does Mrs. Fedak who incidentally was born in Odesa.
I visited Potochesche some 24+ years ago but was not entirely sure who I visited and for what reason. I was in my early twenties, and not entirely connected to seeking out my family tree. I do remember there was another brother (name ?) and a Kataryna(?) the latter being sent or settling in Novosibirsk.
I too recollect your name mentioned, but we are not related. (Or are we?) i do realize that the name "Voloschouk" is quite popular in the Ivano- Frankivsk oblast for whatever that's worth acknowledging.

If you wish to connect please let me know.