Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Notices

Looking for Fedyna and Kasha families

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th March 2010, 04:47

Hannia will become famous soon enough
AUSTRIAN MILITARY RECORDS
by: Karen Hobbs (Bukowina Society)

Austrian military records held by the Kriegsarchiv in Vienna contain information about the soldiers who served in the Imperial army before 1868 and in the armies of the Austro-Hungarian dual monarchy after 1868. There are a lot of records of various kinds but the ones that are of most use to genealogists are the officer's "Qualifications Tabellen," the regimental musterlists, "Standestabellen," "Kirchenbucher," "Grundbuchblatter," and regimental histories.

The officer's "Qualifications Tabellen" are voluminous records of each officer's personal information, his various assignments, notes about how well he performed his duty and recommendations regarding promotion. Regimental musterlists are lists of names of common soldiers who are on active duty at a given time. The lists usually do not give additional information about the individual soldiers named. "Standestabellen" are regimental monthly reports. They list the regimental staff by name and rank. They divide the regiment into battalions and each battalion is further divided into companies. Each company will list soldiers on active duty and whether they are present. Those not present are listed under such additional headings as "deserted," "in hospital," assigned to "special duty detachment," "in prison," "on leave," etc. Monthly reports usually give the home town of each active-duty soldier and the name of his wife if he is married.

"Kirchenbücher" are military church records. They record marriages, births, baptisms and deaths of active duty soldiers and - if they are married - of their family members.

"Grundbuchblatter" are the personal records of individual soldiers. They tell where he came from, give a physical description of the soldier and have brief notations about when he mustered in and out, and where he served while on active duty and his status at the time he mustered out (discharged with certificate or in the reserve).

(Every year or so hand-written copies were made of the hand-written military records kept by the various Austrian regiments. The originals would be updated from time to time while the copies were not. A "Grundbuchblatter" that does not show both the date mustered in and the date mustered out is probably an incomplete copy. The more-complete record maybe found with a second search.) Regimental histories list such things as who commanded the regiment over time, where it was recruited and where it was stationed from year to year, in which campaigns the regiment participated and who received medals. The Imperial Austrian army had as many as 500,000 soldiers on active duty during wartime and because the rules for conscription exempted just about anyone who was in the upper classes, had an education, an "essential" profession or trade or enough property, the majority of the common soldiers were from the lower classes or peasant population. (As late as 1890 Bohemian soldiers were still almost 20% illiterate.) Since many of those who went to America were from that same group, it is often worthwhile to search for military records when trying to document an ancestor's hometown, date of birth, or other information that is difficult to find elsewhere.

The Kriegsarchiv will do a general search for given records but they must know the regiment number and the approximate dates of service. Microfilmed military records (several thousand films) at LDS Family History Centers are also identified by year and by regiment. Most peasants served in the infantry. The infantry included Jäger battalions, Landwehr battalions, and regular infantry regiments. Each category of infantry kept its own muster lists and rolls and each one was recruited from a fixed geographical district. When there is at least a vague idea of which political district might have been an ancestor's home, it is usually possible to find the right regiment or infantry unit. But the age when men were eligible for the draft and how long they had to serve is equally important in order to determine if the possibility that an ancestor served in the army. The age for conscription gives the first year a man might have served and the active-duty portion of the service obligation tells the last year. Because common soldiers generally could not marry, the service obligation also affected the age when a man might marry. The later a man married, the greater the possibility that he served in the army. Typically, if a man arrived in America after age 28 and if his marriage did not take place until he was 28 years old there is a good chance that he served in the Austrian army. Married men were ineligible for the draft. During wartime it was not uncommon for young men who faced induction to contract a quick marriage to avoid service. Often the newlyweds would have to live with parents and be virtual hired hands in the household because the young husband was not yet able to provide for a wife.

Exemption was also given to men who were disabled or who had poor vision or were otherwise unable to handle a rifle. There were some men who actually mutilated themselves, cutting off their "trigger fingers" in order to make themselves ineligible. Sometimes this did not work and these men still had to serve in the transportation corps. Volunteering for service was attractive because it was one way to shorten the service obligation. Before 1868 certain volunteers only had to sign up for one or two years and at the end of that time their military obligation was fulfilled -- before 1868 such volunteers could not be recalled to active duty again. Volunteers were free to marry and to emigrate as soon as their one or two years of service was over. Ancestors who served as volunteers might enter the army at an earlier age than if they were drafted or they might enter it a year or two after they were eligible for conscription but had not been selected. Many who volunteered would do so out of patriotism during mobilization for war so it is helpful to know which wars were fought during the period a given ancestor was eligible to volunteer. The Austrian army always recruited volunteers but when there were not enough of them they had to fill out the ranks by conscription. Generally, local authorities received quotas to fill and they could do that any way they wished before 1868. For many villages it was an opportunity to empty the jails and poor houses and to get rid of any undesirables, mental defectives, or anyone else who was considered a burden on the community. But they also used a lottery. Under the rules for the lottery, all eligible men of conscription age received a number and those whose numbers were drawn had to report for induction. Wealthy men could purchase an exemption from the authorities. Others whose lottery numbers were "unlucky" would buy a "lucky" number paying the "lucky" man to report in their place. Impoverished peasants could provide a windfall of from $600 to $1200 for their families in this manner. There were other exemptions from conscription which were based on the young man's status in his family (an only son) or in the community (a priest) which changed from time to time. Until 1848, noble lords might choose to ignore exemptions if they wanted to punish someone -- they could force a man who might otherwise be exempt from the draft into the army as punishment for shirking, unpaid, debts, rents or taxes, or for other real or trumped-up transgressions.

The eligible age for conscription and the service obligation changed several times during the 19th century. At the beginning of the century soldiers faced a lifetime obligation which meant that once they finished active duty they could be recalled into the army at any time. The lifetime service obligation was the most oppressive of all the conscription rules. It caused many young men to abandon their homes and flee to foreign lands or to big cities where they would be unknown and could avoid recruiters and conscription officials. One devise used to make the lifetime obligation less oppressive was the "indefinite furlough" during peacetime. Under this rule a man could be inducted, serve for a training period of about 18 months to two years and then he was put on "indefinite furlough" without pay. This allowed him to return to his home to make a living. If war broke out, he would be recalled. Furloughed men were not carried on regimental muster rolls. The rolls listed only the men on active duty at any one time. Disability of one kind or another that showed up after a soldier was inducted might lead to his early release. Most men who were mustered out for sickness or disability would receive a discharge certificate and the notation "discharged with certificate" would appear on his "Grundbuchblatter."
Old 10th March 2010, 04:55

Most of the registration sheets of draftees from Galicia (Southern Poland, Western Ukraine) has been destroyed (Centralne Archivwum Wojskowe, PL-00910 Warszawa-Rembertów)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________

To determine Austro-Hugarian Military Division.
Austrian Military Recruitment in Galicia

Austro-Hungarian Recruitment Map (Lviv was technically called LEMBERG at the time)
Your Grandfather would have been recruited out of SAMBOR (click NE corner of map).
http://www.kuk-wehrmacht.de/regiment...rnkart1898.jpg

Lemko, member here, has been chasing muster rolls for as long as I can remember, Unfortunatly it has been w/o much succcess. He is probably the one to offer you the best advice. He comes by frequently.

Last edited by Hannia; 10th March 2010 at 14:11.
Old 12th March 2010, 04:11

efc3011 is on a distinguished road
Fedyna/Kasha Families

I made my very frist trip to an LDS center today. I ordered one of the microfilms on the list you posted for me.

I am so very grateful for your help!

Take care, my friend!
Old 12th March 2010, 06:11

efc,

You have plenty to get you started and don't forget to review the Halgal Tutorial.

You are now officially a Genealogy Propeller Head !
Old 18th March 2010, 20:53

Fedyna/Kasha Families

Hannia, I keep referring back to your posts for more information. You gave me so much to think about and to research! Could you please tell me why my grandfather Teodor Fedyna, would have been called Fedko or Fedor?
Old 19th March 2010, 04:49

Theodore was his formal name (baptismal) name, while Fedko or Fedir was his Ukrainian name. That is what his family and wife would have called him. You would have addressed him as Deedo (Grandfather) Fedko.

The explanation is technical. The TH sound does not exist in the highly phonetic Ukrainian language. What you hear is what you write. The TH comes out like an PH or F sound and is written as a Ф, equivalent to letter F.

Keep in mind that the metrykal (church vital records) data you will be examining will for a large part be in Latin. You should have no trouble recognizing pertinent surnames. The real old, old records will be in Old Church Slavonic.
Old 25th May 2010, 18:56

Hi Hannia!
I want to let you know that I have been doing research at the LDS center and found the birth record of GF Theodore Fedyna! I also found birth records of five siblings. I only knew of two.I I found records for other Fedynas, and people who intermarried with them, including Proc, Bereznicki, Dmytryk, as well. I also found death record of his parents, Joannes and Anna. As you mentioned, there were many deaths in Dublany in that time period. The Fedyna family who lived in their house after they died lost four children between 1895 and 1901. Still no clue if they were Boyko, or not. I would like to find Marya Kasha. LDS International Genealogical Index shows she was born in 1974 in Novosyzy. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated!