Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Notices

Pavlokoma Families

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 5th December 2009, 18:57

Tempo is on a distinguished road
Pavlokoma Families

Hello

It has been a long time since I posted but I visit this site almost daily. What a great site.

I am still trying to locate information about my relatives from Pavlokoma. There seems to be a gap in archival birth/marriage/death records for the period from 1845-1945. Were the records destroyed during the 3 Mar 1945 attack? Is there a second set of records(the "bishops copy") somewhere in Poland or Ukraine? Did the LDS film any Pavlokoma records during the past couple of years?

I would love to hear from anyone who has relatives that came from Pavlokoma. Some of the surnames I am interested in - Petrovych, Aftanas, Mudryk, Trojan, Fedak, Potichnyj, Szpak, Karpa..... the list goes on

Na vse dobre

Tempo
Old 5th December 2009, 22:49

IreneLviv is on a distinguished road
Petro Potichnyj wrote a detailed book about Pavlikoma
Attached Thumbnails
pavlokoma-families-64.jpg  
Old 6th December 2009, 01:38

Thank you Irene

I have this book and 3 others from the Pavlokoma Foundation......They contain excellent data for the early years and for the generations involved in the 3 March massacre. It somewhat slow going since I do not read Ukrainian or Polish.
Old 6th December 2009, 03:59

zarjacks is on a distinguished road
Tempo,
He has also written a short memoir in English called My Journey. He spoke at a meeting of the Toronto Ukrainian Genealogy Group(TUGG Homepage) :

April 14, 2009 - Professor Peter Potichnyj spoke on "The Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA) and its Activities in Zakerzonnia." Dr. Potichnij outlined the history and structure of the UPA and their struggle to protect Ukrainians from Polish, German and Soviet armies during WW II and after. He discussed the tragic forced relocation of Ukrainian families living in a 60 kilometer band of land, families dating back to 900. He also discussed the work his compatriates were doing to preserve the documents arising out of the conflict.

The website is http://www.litopysupa.com

Ruth
Old 7th December 2009, 15:05

Hannia will become famous soon enough
Tempo.

Glad to see your post.

Church was "Patronage of the Blessed Virgin Mary" [1787] [destroyed]
The masonry church was built in 1909 and replaced an older wooden church from 1787. The church was renovated in 1879. The old wooden church was damaged by a fire and the people attended services in Sil'nycja until 1875. Because the people of Sil'nycja did not want to contribute to the reconstruction of the church, the changes to the Latin Rite. Most of the villagers (all but 40 women and children who were deported), including the last priest, were gathered into the church and killed by the Poles on March 3, 1945. Later the church was torn apart and only the masonry bell tower remains

THE FILIAL CHURCHES WERE IN BARTIVKE AND SILNYCIA !!! Have you checked those?
Old 8th December 2009, 15:55

Thank you Ruth and Hannia,

Ruth, I have read My Journey...I enjoyed it very much. Most likely I have visited just about every Pavlokoma web site there is, whether spelled in English, Polish or cyrillic. There are a few YouTube videos about Pavlokoma that are still on my list to deal with. There are also two 26 minute interviews w Prof. PJP and with Polish historians regarding Pavlokoma. Again, my problem is not being able to understand spoken Polish or Ukrainian. Needless to say, I have collected a lot of data on Pavlokoma diaspora.

Hannia, you have I pointed out my next challenge. I need to write the filial churches and archives. More to come. Thanks again.
Old 28th December 2009, 16:38

Hannia will become famous soon enough
Tempo,

Merry Christmas and I hope that the New Year will bring you more answers to those open questions you have. I would also like to thank you for your generous help. Best Wishes !!!