Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Notices

Konichy and Staromischyna

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16th March 2009, 13:03

ddani740 is on a distinguished road
Konichy and Staromischyna

Does anyone have any information on these villages? As far as I know, my great grandfather (Hyrc Kohut) was born in Konichy but had moved to Staromischyna before moving to the U.S. Any information would be appreciated.
Old 16th March 2009, 15:33

zarjacks is on a distinguished road
Smile Staromischyna

You might be interested in reading Canadian writer Janice Kulyk Keefer's family memoir "Honey and Ashes A Story of Family" as she writes about her immigrant family from that village and her own trip back there.
Ruth
Old 16th March 2009, 16:58

Hannia is on a distinguished road
As per Ellis Island, Hryc Kohut ( means ROOSTER in Ukr), dob appx 1883, made several trips to America.

The 1913 ship's manifest shows that this was his third trip. Previous trips were in 1906 and 1912.
He was a thirty yr old Ruthenian/Ukrainian, heading for his brother's (Stefan Kohut, who also made
several trips, residing at 230 Warren St. Hudson NY). Hryc left his father Pawlo behind in his place of
birth, Staromiesczyna > Galicia.

Another place that also shows up is Northampton PA. Petro (cousin to Hryc) was heading for his uncle's
(Pawlo) in Northampton in 1910. Traveling at the same time was a Hnat (Ignat) Kohut, also heading
to Northampton PA. He left wife Warwara behind in village Staromiesczyna.

Does this sound like your GGrandfather?

I also found two more Hryc Kohut coming from Staromisczyna. One was heading for Winnipeg Canada and
the other, 41, left wife Anna behind in Staromisczyna. He arrived in New York in 1909????

From late 18th century to 1919 wies/village Staromiejszczyzna (official Polish name) was predominantly
a Ruthenian/Ukrainian village with its own Greek Catholic Church. The filial Roman Catholic Church was
in Podwoloczyska. Skalat was the POWIAT (county-administrative district) and Podwoloczyska was the
GMINA (judicial-tax-district) > Tarnopolskie wojiwodstwo/region > Galicia/Halyczyna Province, administered
by ethnic Poles for the AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN EMPIRE. During the Interwar Perior (1919-1938) the
Ternopil region came under Reconstituted Poland's domain. Technically Poland had not existed as
a geopolitical entity for the previous 125 yrs. Post WW2, the region became a part of SSR Ukraine,
under Soviet domain, until 1991 when Ukraine became independent.

Your ancestral village was first mentioned as a settlement in 1463 and officially founded in 1599. TODAY
selo/village Staromischyna () still exists w/a population of 827.
Today the district center is
Pidvolochynsk in the Ternopilska (Ternopil) oblast/region of Ukraine. There are archeological monuments
dating back to the Scythian Period near the village. There is also some evidence (artifacts) showing influence
of Kyivan Rusyn culture here. The Greek Catholic Church of St. Nicholas was built in 1889 and still
stands today. Recently there was the Chapel of St. Basil the Great built there as well.

In order to locate exactly Staromiejszczyna on a map (coordinates 49.55-26.16) use
Shtetlseeker link below. Use above spelling and click on to Ukraine. Click Mapquest (M) and view
exact location in Ternopil oblast.

JewishGen ShtetlSeeker – Town Search

TODAY there are 8 Kohut's listed as residing in Staromischyna.

1978-08-28 (Natalia, daughter of Jaroslav)
1942-03-24 (Jaroslav, son of Petro)
2001-09-10 (Anastasia, daughter of Boris)
1980-12-23 (Oksana, daughter of Taras)
1977-01-21 (Roman, son of Jaroslav)
1964-09-08 (Petro, son of Jaroslav)
1961-10-14 (Bohdan, son of Jaroslav)
1980-04-24 (Jaroslav, son of Jaroslav)

Last edited by Hannia; 16th March 2009 at 19:29.
Old 16th March 2009, 17:43

LDS has copied some old metrikal data for Staromischyna.

Title
Metrical books, 1835-1865

Authors
Greek Catholic Church. Staromiejszczyzna (Podwołoczyska) (Main Author)

Notes
Microreproduction of original manuscripts at the State Archives, Warsaw, Poland and at the Central State Historical Archives of Ukraine in L′viv.
Greek Catholic Church records (births, marriages, deaths) for Staromiejszczyzna (Podwołoczyska), Galizien, Austria; later Staromiejszczyzna (Skałat), Tarnopol, Poland; now Staromishchyna, Pidvolochys′k, Ternopil′, Ukraine. Text in Latin and Polish.
Record group 201, series 4A, files 1689-1691, 5358.
For some years the records of this locality are mixed with the records of other localities.

Subjects
Austria, Galizien, Staromiejszczyzna (Podwołoczyska) - Church records
Poland, Tarnopol, Staromiejszczyzna (Skałat) - Church records
, Ц, , ͦ - Φ
Ukraine, Ternopil′, Pidvolochys′k, Staromishchyna - Church records

Format
Manuscript (On Film)

Language
Latin
Polish

Publication
Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971-2002

Physical
on 3 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.

Film Notes
Note - Location [Film]
Marriages 1836 -- Marriages 1838-1841 -- Marriages 1856-1859 -- Marriages 1861 -- Births, marriages, deaths 1859 - FHL INTL Film [ 766098 Items 8 - 9 ]
Volume 201-4A/1689 Births, marriages, deaths 1835-1839 (includes other localities) - FHL INTL Film [ 2101053 Item 2 ]
Volume 201-4A/1690 Births, marriages, deaths 1848-1851 (some years missing; includes other localities) - FHL INTL Film [ 2101053 Item 3 ]
Volume 201-4A/1691 Births, marriages, deaths 1852-1853 -- Births, marriages, deaths 1856-1858 -- Births, marriages, deaths 1861-1865 (includes other localities) - FHL INTL Film [ 2101053 Item 4 ]
Volume 201-4A/5358 Births, marriages, deaths 1840-1847 (some years missing; includes other localities) - FHL INTL Film [ 2352176 Item 6 ]
Old 16th March 2009, 19:11

Hryc born in Konichy but had moved to Staromischyna before moving to the U.S.

In GGrandfather's time frame there were quite a few Kohut's living in Staromischyna. Did they all move together
from Konichy to Staromischyna? There were also quite a few Kohut's that emigrated Staromischyna
and went to the States ?

Do you have any documentation that GGrandfather was born in Konichy? There were over 350+ Kohut's immigrating
thru New York and none came from a village that remotely sounded like Konichy. Makes no sense to me.
Old 30th March 2009, 13:00

Staromischyna/Kohut

Thank you so much for the information. All that I know is my uncle wrote and told me that on my great-grandfather Hryc Kohut's death record it says he was born in Konichy, Ukraine. My aunt who is now in her 90's told me that Hryc came here only with his brother Wasyl who went to Indiana. I do know for sure that he came here at least 2 times before bringing his wife Anna here. I am also trying to find information on my great-great grandmother who came in 1914 and her name was Mary Schumatic(married name of Kryvicky). I know that Mary left her husband and a young son behind when she left Ukraine. I also can't find the record of Anna bringing her 2 young daughters Dorothy and Mary when she came here. Do you know of any websites that has pictures of Staromischyna? I have found several villages on the net but never this one. Also, do you know anyone who I could hire that would be able to read the films from LDS? My Ukranian is not so good. Sorry for rambling on, but these are some things that I just can't find out on my own.
thank you so much
Old 30th March 2009, 13:16

Kohut

Hi Hannia,
I looked at some information I have on my great-grandfather. Here is what I have...
Hryc Kohut
DOB 1-10-1870 or 1868
Death 3-23-1956 (ohio)
Marriage to Anna Kryvicky 1895 Would like to know "actual" Ukrainian name for Kryvicky
Naturalization 3/1923 age 53
arrival in NY 1909 age 40
Mothers maiden name was Sztaricka???
children...
Mary DOB 1901 Kleschivna, Ukraine
Dorothy Evelyn DOB 1903 Kleschivna, Ukraine
Catherine DOB 1911 Ohio
John DOB 1913 Ohio
Anna DOB 1916 (Still living in Ohio)
Stayed with Adolph Mendel NY
WIFE Anna Kryvicky Kohut
DOB 12-1-1877 Kleschivna, Ukraine