Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Personals > Genealogy

Notices

Maydan, Ukraine - Which one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16th February 2007, 15:55

brian400 is on a distinguished road
Maydan, Ukraine - Which one?

A 1843 birth certificate form Gologory, Ukraine, shows the mother's parents from Maydan.

Would that be Maydan Gologurski or Maydan Lipovetskiy or the Maydan that is about 19 miles away from Gologory?

What GC church would be the correct one for Maydan Gologurski & Maydan Lipovetsky?......The one in Gologory?

GC Church for Maydan, Ukraine?

Thanks for the help.

Joyce
Old 18th February 2007, 20:40

Hi everyone,

Sorry. I think I was unclear with my original post.......First part would be just an opinion.

2nd part......
Can anyone give me the administrative district, gmina, & GC parish for the town of Maydan that is about 19 miles from Gologry/Holohory, Ukraine? I'm just not sure if it is still in the L'vivska Oblast, Zloczw district as is Gologry.

Thank you for your help.

Joyce
Old 19th February 2007, 05:10

Hannia is on a distinguished road
Joyce,

My cousin in Ukraine is married to a gal whose mother still lives in Maydan
Holohorskij. I will be talking to my cousin tomorrow.

What surname are you researching and what was the religion practiced?
Old 19th February 2007, 06:46

Hi Hannia,

The surname is Diakov/w & they were Greek Catholic.

Is Maydan Holohorskij, the Maydan I'm finding abt. 19 miles away from Glogory/Holohory?

Thanks for your help.

Joyce
Old 19th February 2007, 21:14

Today Majdan-Holohorskij > Zolochivskij raion/district > Lvivska Oblast/Region.
The village has appx 75 houses.

Majdan: a Turkish expression designating an enclosed four-sided space used as a fairground, a site for military exercises, or a gathering place. In Polish camps the majdan was what they called the open central space where knights gathered to share the booty equally. From this the name came to be used for the campsites of forest workers, who set up their budy in a closed quadrilateral. These campsites often became the beginnings of villages founded in cleared forest areas; the name Majdan could then pass to the village as well. Majdany differ from budy in that they served as gathering point for a larger number of workers, which made it necessary to set up some sort of administrative and judicial authority, whereas budy were usually individual forest settlements. Majdany were founded in order to exploit the wealth contained in the forests by melting down tar, burning coal, etc. They usually took their names from the estates to which the forests belonged. The majdan plays the same role in wooded areas on the right bank of the Wisl~a up to the Bug and Narew as the huta plays in areas on the left bank. [Vol. 5, p. 908].

PGSA - Powiat's and Wola's
PGSA - Powiat's and Wola's

From late 18th century to 1919 Majdan Gologurski > Zloczow was both the
administrative (powiat) and the judicial/tax (gmina) district. The filial
RC Church was in Gologory and the filial GC Church was in Scianki. This was
the Lwowskie Wojiwodstwo/Region > Galicia Province, administered by ethnic Poles for the AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN EMPIRE.

All names above are names in Polish. Data above as per Lenius' Galician Gazetteer.

Today Majdan-Holohorskij has its own GC Church, Svyatoho Onufria/
St. Onufrij.

Majdan-Holohorskij (coordinates 49.46-24.47) is located 6 kilometers/3.2 miles
ENE of Holohory (coordinates 49.45-24.43).

I spoke to my cousin-in-law today.

There are many Diakow's still living in Majdan-Holohorskij.

It just happens that she is planning on visiting her Mother in Majdan Holohorskij this week. Her Mom was the local midwife in Holohory since 1937. She still has an exc memory and knows most people living in the surrounding villages. If you would like, my cousin's wife would be more than happy to make an inquiry re your Mother's family still residing in the village.

If you are not comfortable listing Mother's full name and name of her parents here, you can e-mail me at mitehelp@aol.com. Please provide whatever other info you may have as well.
Old 19th February 2007, 22:24

Additional info

From late 18th century to 1919, Majdan Lipowiecki > Przemyslany was both the adm and the judicial/tax district center > Lwowskie Wojiwodswto > Galicia Province, administered by ethnic Poles for Austro-Hungarian Empire. Filial RC Church was in Gologory and filial GC Church was in Lipowce.
Old 20th February 2007, 16:18

Hi Hannia,

I want to thank you for the excellent information on Maydan Gologorski. I really appreciate your help on this part of my family. Your cousin's offer to speak with her mother is much appreciated, too. Unfortunately, I'm seeking information on the family of Jacobi Diakov/w b. abt. 1795 Maydan? & his wife, Helena Olexijow b. abt 1800 Maydan? Their duaghter, Maria b. abt 1820 Maydan?, married (abt.1842) Michaelis Say b. abt 1818 Gologory?......This is much to early for cousin's mother, but any suggestions you may have that will help with my research, I will greatly appreciate it!........Perhaps cemetery information?

I do have another question for you.

The GC records for all these towns that have been filmed by the LDS Church are very limited. Is there anyway to find out if earlier records exist at the local level (parish church)?

Thanks again for the help.

Joyce