Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Culture > Food & Drink

Notices

Ukrainian Baked Goods - Breads, cookies, cakes, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29th January 2015, 16:52

klb1182 is on a distinguished road
Ukrainian Baked Goods - Breads, cookies, cakes, etc.

Hello!! Hope everyone is doing well

Let me start off by saying I did try searching for the info I'm looking for, but didn't exactly find it already posted, so if you know it's been posted or discussed, please point me in the right direction!

I love food (insert joke about chubby Americans and super-sized value meals here...) and I love exploring new cuisines. I do like to cook, but making whole meals and main dishes sometimes intimidates me (a little weird, I realize...but it is what it is). My true culinary passion is baking - oh, how I love to bake!! Muffins, cakes, pies - you name it, I'll try it!

So, in my quest to explore the Ukrainian culture through food, I'd like to know what your favorite recipes are for baked goods (breads, cookies, cakes, pies, desserts, etc). I don't have a lot of experience with homemade breads besides the quick breads (banana breads, etc) but I'm willing to try.

If you know of any wonderful recipe sites or cookbooks that are available in English (I do not speak/read ANY Ukrainian), or I can attempt to use an online translator. Again, I'm specifically looking for baked goods - breads, cakes, cookies, or any other type of baked items.

Thank you very much for your replies! You all are so helpful and friendly!
Old 14th January 2017, 13:25

abgogal is on a distinguished road
I realize this reply is two years late, but the absolute best reference you're going to find is "Traditional Ukrainian Cookery" by Savella Stechishin. If you can find a copy, that is. It's out of print unfortunately. Read the reviews about this book on Amazon.

Tags
baking, breads, cakes, cookies, cooking