Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Current Events

Nemtsov Assassinated

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd March 2015, 13:46
Hannia will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Szary View Post
.Today I saw this new viral video on YouTube's homepage, and I now think you're mistaking me for the folks that made this: | I'm a Russian Occupant [Subtitles]
Why bother posting it here?

I see you have a lot in common w/the author of this song. He too claims to love peace, just like you do. He is also a homophobe and an Obama hater.

By posting the url here, one can only assume you are attempting to dishonor Nemtsov's memory and subtlety trying to threaten me as well. Oh me - oh my!

'I'm A Russian Occupier' -- Video Sings Praises Of Russian Imperialism
March 03, 2015 Claire Bigg RADIO FREE EUROPE

A bellicose video gushing over Russia's invasion of its neighbors is making the rounds online, describing Russia as a civilizing force and warning the world not to "mess" with Moscow.

The clip, explicitly titled I'm A Russian Occupier, has been viewed almost 3 million times since being posted on February 27.

It was first uploaded to social networks by a blogger named Yevgeny Zhurov in the Siberian city of Novosibirsk but gained wide attention after Dmitry Rogozin, a Russian deputy prime minister and former ambassador to NATO known for his harsh anti-Western rhetoric, promoted the video on his Twitter account.

The 2 1/2-minute film, which uses computer animation and graphics, defends Russia's Soviet-era occupation of neighboring countries by trying to demonstrate that these nations are far worse off since breaking out of Moscow's orbit:

Citizens of the Baltic states, it claims, are now "cleaning toilets in Europe" while Central Asia allegedly lives off U.S. credits and the sale of marijuana.

It accuses Ukraine of destroying the industries painstakingly built by Russians and installing a "dictatorship" -- a jibe at the Western-friendly government that came to power in Kyiv following the protests that ousted pro-Russian President Viktor Yanukovych.

"Yes, I'm an occupant and I'm tired of apologizing for it," the video says. "I'm an occupant by birthright."

It goes on to reject Western democracy and values, including gay rights, and warn Russia's critics.

"I'll politely warn you for the last time: Do not mess with me! I build peace, I love peace, but more than anyone, I know how to fight."

The film ends with that message appearing to be sent to U.S. President Barack Obama.

'I'm A Russian Occupier' -- Video Sings Praises Of Russian Imperialism

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Last edited by Hannia; 3rd March 2015 at 14:08.
Old 3rd March 2015, 18:06
Szary is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hannia View Post
Why bother posting it here? I see you have a lot in common w/the author of this song. He too claims to love peace, just like you do. He is also a homophobe and an Obama hater.

By posting the url here, one can only assume you are attempting to dishonor Nemtsov's memory and subtlety trying to threaten me as well. Oh me - oh my!
Hannia, in no way did I ever attempt to dishonor Nemtsov or as you suggest ‘subtly threaten’ you. I simply added my own opinion together with a link to a Canadian website that proposed various theories regarding Nemtsov’s brutal murder. This is after all a forum for discussion.

It was YOUR choice to immediately launch into personal attacks which detracts from Nemtsov’s memory and from this thread. It was YOUR choice to go there. In response I merely suggested you were sorely mistaken and in passing added a link I had just seen on YouTube’s front page of the type of nutty Russian extremists that you so dislike. In no way did I say I supported them, on the contrary it should be quite obvious that few could.

Nor did I ever suggest I ‘hate’ Obama. That does not mean that I agree with his weak feeble policies… for example I strongly disagree with him for dragging his feet on providing arms to Ukraine, instead giving them fluffy empty promises. Romney, who I voted for, would have no doubt fully armed Ukraine and stood up to Putin.

Hannia, it is YOUR choice to use abusive incendiary language on this forum, and you would do well to try to keep it professional and keep things above the belt, even when you disagree. There are so many complexities to what’s going on these days in Ukraine and Russia. It’s all worthy of discussion and it’s not one size fits all, your way or the highway. Please, stop the constant personal attacks.
Old 3rd March 2015, 18:08

Nemtsov's 'Evidence of Russian Troops in Ukraine' Taken by Police
By Damien Sharkov 3/3/15 at 11:20 AM NEWSWEEK

Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov, who was murdered on Saturday, was preparing to publish a report detailing the presence of Russian soldiers in the east Ukraine conflict.

According to his fellow opposition party member Ilya Yashin, Boris Nemtsov had been compiling a file of evidence about allegations that Russia’s troops are backing separatist forces in Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk and Luhansk regions, known collectively as Donbas, before he was killed.

Nemtsov was reportedly intending to publish the report at some point in March, within a month of his and Yashin’s last meeting in late February. However, Yashin says the report is now in the hands of the committee who are investigating the shooting and he has no knowledge of its contents except for what he was told from his late friend.

“He said that he had received clues which proved the presence of Russian soldiers in the territory affected by Ukraine’s armed conflict and I specifically remember that he was communicating with the parents of dead soldiers from the cities of Ivanovo, Yaroslavl and another town which, unfortunately, I do not remember,” Yashin told Russian newspaper Gazeta.

“He was talking about planning a visit to Ivanovo. He was planning on collecting materials and compiling them in a kind of report. Sadly I do not know the details as, obviously, if he had any documents in his possession, then they have been seized by the investigators who immediately went to his apartment and office and took his computer,” Yashin added.

According to Nemtsov’s friend, the subject of the report could be revisited again if Yashin and fellow opposition figures are given access to the materials and contacts that Nemtsov collected. However, Yashin admits “nobody is working on this at the moment, at least not until we bury his body.”

Accounts of Nemtsov’s alleged report, detailing the presence of Russian troops in Donbas, have also been confirmed by Ukrainian president Petro Poroshenko who awarded Nemtsov with Ukraine’s Order of Freedom posthumously for his political activism and for serving as “a bridge between Ukraine and Russia”.

Poroshenko expressed his belief that whoever was afraid of what Nemtsov was preparing to reveal, was behind his murder.

The memorial service for Boris Nemtsov took place in Moscow today. It was not attended by Russian president Vladimir Putin, nor by Nemtsov’s girlfriend, Ukrainian model Anna Duritskaya, who witnessed the shooting.

Yashin himself reported police procedures had taken their toll on Duritskaya, who was only allowed to return home to Kiev today after expressing her desire to do so in the days since Nemtsov’s death.

Russian support for rebels in eastern Ukraine has remained a contentious issue since the summer , when groups of Russian servicemen were captured in Ukrainian territory. The Kremlin strictly denies sending troops to Ukraine and has said that any soldiers there are not there in their official capacities but as volunteers. http://www.newsweek.com/nemtsovs-evi...-police-310997

æ, !

Old 3rd March 2015, 18:54
Szary, you continue to try "sidelining" as per Kremlin propaganda manual. It's just not working.

Try posting your own threads, generating your own traffic and engaging in debate that way. Short of viewing your posts as propagandist pollution, I have no desire to debate you.
Remember following exchange?

Rumblings From East Ukraine

æ, !

Old 4th March 2015, 21:03
Boris Nemtsov - Liberal martyr
Russia's rising political hatred claims a victim: a scrupulously honest reformist leader
Feb 28th 2015 | Europe THE ECONOMIST

“NEMTSOV is a national traitor! Execute the traitor!” wrote a commenter a few days ago, on an internet petition to strip Boris Nemtsov of his mandate as a deputy of the local council in the provincial town of Yaroslavl. On his Facebook page, Mr Nemtsov quipped right back: “I just don’t understand one thing. Are they collecting signatures to strip me of my mandate, or to execute me?”

The answer came just before midnight on February 27th, when Mr Nemtsov, a charismatic opposition politician who led the reform process while serving in Boris Yeltsin’s government in the 1990s, was assassinated on a bridge just steps away from the Kremlin. Mr Nemtsov was shot with four bullets fired from a passing car. The area is infested with video cameras, police, security services and secret agents charged with protecting Russian president Vladimir Putin.

Given the level of security in the vicinity of the Kremlin, it is hard to imagine why Mr Nemtsov's killers would have picked that spot for the shooting, unless they had reason to believe they would be able to escape. The assassins did not try to cover their traces; they did not shoot the woman who was walking with Mr Nemtsov. It is by far the most significant political assassination in recent Russian history. Many have drawn parallels between this crime and the fates of other recent victims, such as Galina Starovoitova, a democratic reformer killed in 1998. Yet the atmosphere in Russia is increasingly reminiscent of darker days from a more distant European past.

It is an atmosphere Mr Nemtsov himself described 10 months ago, when nationalist euphoria was building on the back of the annexation of Crimea and an escalating war in Ukraine. “I can’t remember such a level of general hatred as the one in Moscow today," Mr Nemtsov wrote on his Facebook page..

In the past year, the atmosphere of aggression and intolerance has only become stronger. A week ago, tens of thousands of well-dressed young men and women marched through the centre of Moscow, carrying banners filled with hatred for liberals and vowing not to allow a Russian version of Kiev's Maidan revolution, or any return of the liberalism of the 1990s. Some carried Mr Nemtsov’s photograph, labeled “an organiser of Maidan”.

Mr Nemtsov was a figure who represented everything Mr Putin’s kleptocratic regime is allergic to. A charismatic and brainy physicist with curly black hair and smiling eyes, he stood by Mr Yeltsin when the Communists tried to stage a coup in August 1991. At the age of 32, he was appointed governor of Nizhny Novgorod. His market reforms and his open style of governance earned him the praise of Margaret Thatcher. Mr Yeltsin, who favoured Mr Nemtsov as his successor, persuaded him to join the government in Moscow in 1997. He was the first politician to label the new Russian tycoons as "oligarchs", seeing in them one of the main threats to Russian democracy. He challenged their influence, but soon lost his post as deputy prime minister.

Almost unique among Russian politicians, Mr Nemtsov remained scrupulously honest and sincere throughout his political career. He earned no riches, and at the age of 53 returned to grassroots politics, winning election as a deputy in the local council in Yaroslavl. Physically fit, he considered himself a marathon runner in politics. Mr Nemtsov could fairly claim to have spent his life guided by values rather than interests or ideology. His patriotism was unquestionable. At one point, he could have been Russia's president; instead he witnessed his country's descent into an ugly nationalism that ultimately cost him his life.

here are nevertheless many in Russia who consider Mr Nemtsov a "national traitor". They include the private militia of Ramzan Kadyrov, the president of Chechnya, who has sworn to defend Mr Putin against attacks; members of the Kremlin’s own security services; the country's proliferating radical-nationalist biker and street gangs; Russian volunteers fighting in eastern Ukraine; and others. Mr Putin’s first reaction was that Mr Nemtsov’s killing was a "provocation", and his backers quickly insinuated that the country's liberals had killed Mr Nemtsov themselves to blacken the president's name. Within hours of Mr Nemtsov’s murder, Dmitry Olshansky, a Russian columnist, hinted that Mikhail Khodorkovsky, the former oligarch turned opposition activist, was to blame. With the cynicism and callousness typical of Mr Putin's era, he attacked liberals inclined to suspect that Mr Putin was responsible for the killing as "simple-minded sheep".

Who was responsible for Mr Nemtsov's murder is only one part of the question. The other is how his death will be used by the Kremlin. As Mikhail Iampolski, a Russian cultural historian, wrote on his Facebook page, "one cannot exclude the possibility that the execution of Nemtsov could become for Russia something like the murder of Kirov". The reference was to Sergei Kirov, a charismatic Bolshevik leader who was assassinated in 1934 inside Leningrad's city hall. Stalin used Kirov's murder as an excuse to unleash a period of terror and purges.

Today's Russia does not have a machinery of ideology or repression on the scale of the 1930s. Mr Nemtsov did not present any plausible political threat. But the country does have plenty of the sort of scoundrels described in "The Devils", Dostoevsky's prophetic novel of moral degradation and political terrorism. “One or two generations of vice are essential now," explains that novel's chief provocateur, Petr Verkhovensky. "Monstrous, abject vice by which a man is transformed into a loathsome, cruel, egoistic reptile. That's what we need! And what's more, a little 'fresh blood' that we may get accustomed to it.”Boris Nemtsov: Liberal martyr | The Economist
When an authoritarian ruler fears his own people he will naturally lash out at any opponent. The highest peg gets the hammer.

Did Putin kill Nemtsov. How could he not?

æ, !

Old 4th March 2015, 21:33
AkMike is on a distinguished road
Investigation into the murder of opposition politician continues.

For the murder of an opposition politician Boris Nemtsov declared wanted by the car, which belongs to the Federal State Unitary Enterprise, Ministry of Finance serving Russian .

It is reported by Tass .

"The car is Ford, question does not belong to the Ministry of Finance. This car departmental security, self FSUE serving the Ministry of Finance, Goznak and other structures" - told the press service of the Ministry of Finance. ( belongs to a state owned security service dedicated to the Ministry of Finance, BUT they don't own it, wink wink)

The ministry added that the car drove along the Grand Moscow River bridge in the time when there were police officers
По делу Немцова в розыск объявили машину охраны Минфина *Ф - портал новостей LB.ua

Retirement sucks! You never get a day off!!!
Old 5th March 2015, 17:33
Exclusive: Scribbled note shows Nemtsov on trail of Russian deaths in Ukraine
Darya Korsunskaya and Gabriela Baczynska REUTERS Thu Mar 5, 2015 11:56am EST

It may have been the last note Boris Nemtsov ever wrote, a hurried scrawl in blue pen on a plain white sheet of A4 paper.

A day before he was shot dead near the Kremlin last week, the Russian opposition figure and his close aide Olga Shorina were discussing a sensitive investigation he was preparing into Moscow's backing for separatist fighters in eastern Ukraine.

Fearing their office was bugged by state intelligence, Nemtsov resorted to scribbling.

"Some paratroopers from Ivanovo have got in touch with me. 17 killed, they didn't give them their money, but for now they are frightened to talk," said the note, shown to Reuters by Shorina.

"He did not want to say anything, just in case. He did not want to utter it out loud, which is why he wrote it down for me," she said.

It was not possible to independently confirm the authenticity of the handwritten note.

Since last summer, reports have been circulating inside the country that many serving Russian troops have died in combat in eastern Ukraine, where the separatist war has killed more than 6,000 people.

Despite what Ukraine and its Western allies say is overwhelming evidence, Moscow adamantly denies sending arms or troops to the region, saying any Russians fighting in Ukraine are volunteers.

That is why Nemtsov's last report was so sensitive - perhaps sensitive enough, according to some of his friends, to provide at least part of the motive for killing him, though they say they doubt it was the main reason.

Last Friday night, after dining next to Red Square, the 55-year-old former deputy prime minister was shot four times in the back while strolling home with his girlfriend across a bridge within sight of the Kremlin.

He was the most prominent opposition figure to be killed during President Vladimir Putin's 15-year rule. The president has called his death a shameful tragedy, and the Kremlin has denied any involvement.

Nemtsov was part of a liberal opposition which is supported only by a minority of Russians. He was almost never given air-time on state-run television and radio.

The publication of his report was therefore not likely to resonate with the wider public, which polls show backs Putin's policy on Ukraine. But Shorina said he had been planning to publish 1 million copies, to reach as wide an audience as possible.

In a campaign over many years to expose what he saw as Putin's misrule, Nemtsov had previously published eight reports, including investigations into alleged corruption surrounding last year's Sochi Winter Olympics and into assets owned by the president and his circle.

Shorina and other Nemtsov associates said most of the material he had gathered on Ukraine was from open sources, and that he had not been intending to reveal any explosive new information.

However, she said in the course of research he had been contacted by relatives of a group of Russian soldiers who, according to Nemtsov, had been in action in eastern Ukraine. He was trying to persuade them to make their accounts public.

These were the servicemen who according to Nemtsov's note were based in Ivanovo, a city about 300 km (185 miles) north-east of Moscow which is home to units of the Russian military's 98th paratroop division.

"He was maintaining contact with them," Shorina said. "How he was maintaining contact with them, I don't know, he did not put me in touch with anyone."

Shorina said she and another Nemtsov associate, Ilya Yashin, would try to salvage the information Nemtsov had been gathering and attempt to publish the report in a month. As far as she was aware, he had only managed to write down a table of contents.

She said that for previous reports, Nemtsov had stored most of the information in his head, and would dictate it to her when he was ready.

Yashin said he and Nemtsov had spoken about the Ukraine report about a day and a half before his death.

"He told me he had been in touch with relatives of Russian soldiers killed there and he was planning a trip to Ivanovo to talk to the parents of those killed soldiers," Yashin said.

"He said in the very near future he was going to assemble and put in order various evidence and documents directly proving the presence of the Russian military on the territory of Ukraine and, accordingly, (exposing) President's Putin's lies that there are no Russian servicemen there."

Nemtsov had also settled on a title for the report, Yashin said. He was planning to call it: "Putin and the War".
Exclusive: Scribbled note shows Nemtsov on trail of Russian deaths in Ukraine | Reuters

æ, !