Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Current Events

Nemtsov Assassinated

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2nd March 2015, 23:11
Hannia will become famous soon enough
Szary:So getting back to business, in your view is the Canadian news website in my previous post Russian propaganda? Do you truly think that the KGB/FSB is so unsophisticated in accomplishing their missions as to simply gun people down like the old time Mafia? But then why am I asking, you unfortunately never offer insight, you only launch personal attacks against any who question. Peace.

A credible Canadian site does not knowingly publish Tony Cartalucci, well-known disinfo-peddler out of Thailand. As a matter of fact, he may not even exist, but might very well be just a fictional creation.

You are a troll !!! No ands, ifs or buts.

BTW my acctant told me that the IRS has a
audit kickout list for trolls. Oh me - oh my!

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp

Last edited by Hannia; 2nd March 2015 at 23:54.
Old 2nd March 2015, 23:38

Putin’s Russia between the Reichstag fire and the Kirov murder
2015/03/01 • Analysis & Opinion EUROMAIDAN PRESS

No one can disagree with Yuliya Latynina that with the murder of Boris Nemtsov, Russia has entered a new era, one in which the political opponents of the regime are killed or intimidated by that possibility and one about which it is critically important that all recognize that reality.

Not surprisingly, in the wake of this horrific political execution, commentators are employing analogies as a means to try to understand what has taken place and to be in a position to predict what may happen next. At present, they have offered three pairs of analogies about the nature and implications of Nemtsov’s murder.

One of these involves analogies with the Reichstag fire by which Adolf Hitler overturned the remnants of Weimar democracy and moved to establish the Nazi dictatorship and with the murder of Sergey Kirov, an action Stalin sponsored and then exploited to launch his Great Terror in the USSR.

A second concerns those between a political leader prepared to use what Russians often refer to as “big blood” to get his way and those who argue that he like other dictators can achieve his goals by making use of more carefully targeted and media-generated to induce fear and intimidate his own population and others as well.

And a third concerns analogies between a situation in which this action is part of a carefully controlled effort by Putin to impose his new order on the people of the Russian Federation and one in which he has created a monster over which he may not have absolute control and which in fact may overpower him.

All of these pairs are suggestive, and each provides useful insights that may help to shape an adequate picture of what Putin is about. But at the same time, their very multiplicity is an indication that the current situation, while it bears similarities to these past events, is not identical to any of them and that the future may thus be quite different than any of these suggest.

That commentators should have reached for analogies with the Reichstag fire and the Kirov murder is hardly surprising. Both events are well known, and both opened the way to state terrorism and the rise of Hitler and Stalin to supreme and unchallenged power. Given Putin’s obvious agenda, each is suggestive, but the two are not the same.

The analogy with the Reichstag fire would suggest that Putin is ready to move immediately against all of his opponents and to unleash murderous violence against anyone who disagrees with him. That with the Kirov murder, in contrast, would suggest that he is still consolidating his dictatorship and will exploit Nemtsov’s death to further that process.

A similar difference is to be found in the second set of analogies, between one with a dictator ready to use “big blood” to impose his will and one who believes that he can achieve as much and with less collateral damage to his own goals by carefully targeting his opponents and then using the media to intimidate far more.

Those who argue that Putin is ready to employ widespread violence to get his way may be right. His blowing up of the apartment buildings in Moscow, his war against the Chechens, and his use of force in Ukraine shows he has little regard for human life be it that of Russians or anyone else.

But the other part of this pair, one that suggests he will continue to use the carefully targeted repression he has used up to now, is at least possible. Alexander Herzen once described Nicholas I as “Genghiz Khan plus the telegraph.” Putin who understands the power of media may be called “Stalin plus television.”

Given his skillful use of the media, the Kremlin leader may well have concluded that he doesn’t need to use mass violence. Instead, he can induce fear and intimidate people at home and abroad by carefully calibrated actions, dosed out in such a way that he gets the benefits of repression but suffers little or none of the opprobrium or blowback.

And that consideration helps to explain the appearance of another pair of analogies, that between those who view Putin’s regime as a tightly-integrated and controlled one and those, like Kseniya Sobchak, who argue that he has created a monster which he has at least partially lost control over.

The difference between those perspectives on Putin has its antecedents in two novels on Stalin’s terror, Arthur Koestler’s “Darkness at Noon” which presented the Stalin system as a totally controlled and Victor Serge’s “The Case of Comrade Tulayev” which suggested that the dictator started something that took on a life of its own.

It is too soon to say which of these various analogies is correct. All are suggestive, but in employing them, it is critically important to keep in mind that arguments by analogy inevitably have limits because there is always more than one analogy available and because every new situation is different – at the very least because the actors in it are aware of the past. Putin’s Russia between the Reichstag fire and the Kirov murder -Euromaidan Press |

æ, !

Old 3rd March 2015, 01:06
Analysis - It is not who killed Russia's Boris Nemtsov, it is why
Opposition leader was determined to prove Russia's direct involvement in Ukraine war
Nahlah Ayed, CBC NEWS Mar 02, 2015 11:45 AM ET

Why was Boris Nemtsov shot dead? The committee investigating the chilling murder of the vocal Kremlin critic within view of its red brick walls has already established a number of possible motives.

Among them is his outspoken opposition to the fighting in Ukraine.

For Nemtsov, a long-time opposition leader briefly considered as a possible successor to Boris Yeltsin until Vladimir Putin edged him out, the war next door had become a central, electrifying issue among a litany of complaints against Putin's leadership.

And Nemtsov was adamant about documenting proof that the Russian president is sending troops into Ukraine's churning conflict.

According to his friends, including the Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, Nemtsov was on the verge of disclosing new information in a document he was to call "Putin and the war."

"Boris had declared that he would provide the clear evidence of Russian armed forces' participation … in Ukraine," said Poroshenko following Nemtsov's shooting.

"Somebody was afraid of this, Boris wasn't afraid. Killers and executioners were afraid."

A dangerous conversation

Russia has consistently denied stoking the Ukraine conflict, or feeding it with men and materiel — despite mounting evidence, mostly produced abroad, to the contrary.

But while Russia's involvement is a subject often discussed outside Russia, inside, it is a difficult — even dangerous — conversation to have.

The rumours have been swirling for months. Russian mothers reporting their enlisted sons calling from inside Ukraine, many others reporting their sons missing.

In recent months, independent media have begun reporting on the whispers of Russian casualties secretly buried near the border.

But what discussion there is inside Russia about all this has lacked hard proof, though there have been some in Russia, in addition to Nemtsov, trying to find it.

But how do you prove a country is engaged in war if it won't acknowledge it?

A few months ago, a group of Russian journalists tried by investigating reports of secret soldier burials. They found at least one grave, before thugs scared them off — an act of intimidation the journalists caught on camera.

"They [were] very aggressive," Vladimir, the young videographer who filmed the attack for the independent Rain TV, told CBC News on a recent visit to Moscow.

"Some people don't want this information [to go] to the world. They don't want that people know."

Another opposition figure says he was brutishly beaten for asking similar questions.

Lev Shlosberg ended up in hospital last August after three men assaulted him, leaving him with serious head injuries.

He believes the attack had everything to do with his investigation into the deaths of paratroopers from his home in Pskov. He had attended a secret funeral held for one of them, and is certain they all died fighting in Ukraine.
Kept from view

Russia insists any of its men fighting on the rebel side of the conflict in eastern Ukraine are volunteers fighting of their own volition.

But last fall, journalists at Rain TV's website edition began compiling a list of Russian soldiers confirmed either missing in action or dead. In most of the cases, the journalists say, relatives were told the soldiers died during "exercises" "on the border" with Ukraine.

The journalists spent considerable time to confirm each case, to ensure they had the information right.

But most Russians, who largely watch state television, aren't exposed to that view, and certainly not to any of the data from Western sources, including NATO, said to show Russian involvement in Ukraine.

Even amidst the wall-to-wall coverage of the Ukraine conflict on Russian television, they aren't likely to have seen an exhibit mounted in Kyiv last weekend of a mountain of Russian hardware, including grenade launchers and drones, that were apparently seized in eastern Ukraine by government forces.

And the vast majority would not have attended the protest Nemtsov was to lead on Sunday, which he planned partly to amplify the criticism of Russia's policy in Ukraine.

"If you support stopping Russia's war with Ukraine, if you support stopping Putin's aggression, come to the Spring March," he wrote in a blog linked to his final tweet.
'I am not afraid'

What kind of proof did Nemtsov have? And is that the reason he was silenced? Though the answer isn't known — and may never be — in a sense, that may be beside the point.

Because Russia's most brazen political assassination in years silences a potent critic of the Kremlin, and strikes fear into anyone else trying to get at the truth — notwithstanding the posters asserting otherwise at Sunday's rally.

"I am not afraid," was a common slogan at the gathering.

But friends say even Nemtsov was concerned for his own safety. He said as much in an interview earlier this monthwhen he said "I'm afraid Putin will kill me."

Was it Putin, as his critics allege, via someone acting on his behalf? Or as others have suggested, was it nationalists who believed Nemtsov, as a Putin critic, was a traitor? And if so, was killing him the best way to manage the problem?

A killing like this wouldn’t be the first in a country that is no stranger to violence and intimidation in pursuit of political goals.

The journalists at Rain TV weren't dissuaded by the intimidation they faced, but they were also very concerned their work would eventually land them in trouble.

"We don't get any response, and it's scary in a way," the web edition's editor in chief Ilya Klishin told CBC last fall.

"I don't know what is going to happen. We've got to do what we've got to do." It is not who killed Russia's Boris Nemtsov, it is why - World - CBC News

æ, !

Old 3rd March 2015, 03:59
Szary is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hannia View Post
You are a troll !!! No ands, ifs or buts. BTW my acctant told me that the IRS has a [/B]audit kickout list for trolls. Oh me - oh my!
Dear Hannia,

I've told you repeatedly I'm an American Polak, end of story. If you don't like that I am sorry but please refrain from attacking me.

At the same time, you refuse to disclose who you are even in the most general terms.... maybe you're a troll for the Party of Regions? Of course I don't believe such nonsense, I'm only respectfully pointing out how ridiculous your attacks sound.

Today I saw this new viral video on YouTube's homepage, and I now think you're mistaking me for the folks that made this:

| I'm a Russian Occupant [Subtitles]

Old 3rd March 2015, 13:03
Szary , you are making a real poor attempt at sidelining this thread.

I do not need to provide credentials to a sockpuppet, who has called me a fascist. You constantly post anti-Ukrainian and anti-American posts (and now anti-Russian people posts) on my threads, using Kremlin resources. You don't get to do that and get away w/it. Next you will be citing fortune-tellers like your comrade Siefert did. Oh me - oh my!

æ, !

Old 3rd March 2015, 13:12
Boris Nemtsov to be buried in Moscow on March 3
03.03.2015 | 13:11 UNIAN

Russia on Tuesday will say goodbye to opposition politician Boris Nemtsov, who was gunned down last Friday in view of the Kremlin in an assassination-style murder that will probably never be solved.

A memorial service began at 1000 Moscow time in the Sakharov Center, which was scheduled to last for four hours, Radio Liberty reports.

Nemtsov will be buried at the Troekurov cemetery in Moscow.

"He was one of the few whom we could call our friend. He was a bridge between Ukraine and Russia. Everything has been destroyed by one shot of a killer," Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said.

As reported earlier, Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov was gunned down on a bridge next to the Kremlin in Moscow late on February 27. Police said the assailants had fired several shots from a passing white car, four which hit Nemtsov in the back. He died on the scene.

The police haven’t still reported any progress in the investigation three days after the death of Nemtsov.
Boris Nemtsov to be buried in Moscow on March 3 : UNIAN news

æ, !

Old 3rd March 2015, 13:20
3 March 2015 Last updated at 08:10 ET BBC
Russians bid farewell to murdered politician Nemtsov

Thousands of Russians have bid farewell to murdered Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov as his funeral took place in the capital Moscow.

They queued patiently to view his coffin before it began its the solemn journey to a city cemetery where he was laid to rest.

Several EU politicians and Russia's opposition leader were barred from attending the funeral.

No arrests have been made and no motive has been established for the crime.

Nemtsov's final resting place is at Troyekurovskoye Cemetery, where murdered journalist Anna Politkovskaya was buried in 2006.

A fierce critic of President Vladimir Putin, he was shot dead on a bridge near the Kremlin wall on Friday night.

The crowds will remember a man who was full of energy and life, who burst on to the political scene in the 1990s as a young reformer, who believed passionately in democracy. He was never afraid to speak his mind, to campaign and to criticise.

In recent years he had been a fierce opponent of President Putin, exposing corruption and speaking out against the war in Ukraine.

Boris Nemtsov was shot dead - with four bullets to the back - just beside the Kremlin. It should be one of the most secure spots in the country but more than three days on, police still do not have a suspect, the murder weapon or even the getaway car.

There is nothing to explain for sure why Nemtsov was killed and why, so demonstratively, right in the heart of Russia's capital.

So many people came to see Nemtsov's coffin that when the viewing at the Sakharov human rights centre ended after its scheduled four hours, hundreds of people were still queueing outside.

He was our ray of light," said Valentina Gorbatova, 80. "With his help, I think Russia would have risen up and become a strong country. It is the dream of all progressive people in Russia."

Latvian MEP Sandra Kalniete told the BBC she had been refused entry into Russia at Sheremetyevo airport in Moscow without a proper explanation.

She said she had been made to wait two hours at the airport before being denied entry.

Bogdan Borusewicz, the Polish senate speaker who was to have led a delegation from his country, was denied a visa.

Russia said he was on a list of Polish officials barred from travelling to Russia, drawn up after the EU imposed sanctions on Russia over its involvement in Ukraine.

European Commission spokeswoman Maja Kocijancic was quoted as saying by AFP news agency that Russia's block on the politicians' attendance was "arbitrary".

It was, she said, a "clear breach of basic principles".

Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny was denied permission to leave jail, where he is serving a 15-day sentence for handing out leaflets publicising a demonstration.

He had appealed against a court decision not to release him temporarily but the appeal is only going to be heard on Wednesday, the day after the funeral.

President Putin was not be attending the funeral, the Kremlin said, but would send a representative in his place.

Former UK Prime Minister John Major, who was in Moscow to pay his respects, called for a full, transparent investigation into Nemtsov's murder, saying his voice would not be silenced.

It was, he added, his "saddest ever visit to Moscow".

Tens of thousands of people marched through central Moscow on Sunday to honour Nemtsov, with the opposition claiming some 50,000 people had attended the event.

Nemtsov had been due to lead an opposition march that day, but his killing turned the event into a mourning rally.

His allies have accused the Kremlin of involvement but President Vladimir Putin condemned the murder as "vile" and "provocative", vowing to find the killers.

Nemtsov, 55, had been walking home from a restaurant with his Ukrainian girlfriend, Anna Durytska, when he was shot four times.

Ms Durytska, a 23-year-old model, was allowed to return to Ukraine after being questioned by Russian police.

She told Russian media she had not seen the killer, who struck from behind.

Russia's Federal Protective Service, in charge of presidential security, has said its surveillance cameras did not record the shooting because they were pointed towards the Kremlin.

loads of photos: BBC News - Russians bid farewell to murdered politician Nemtsov

æ, !