Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Current Events

Notices

Ukraine's telephone talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20th March 2015, 14:19

Gotno Gizmo is on a distinguished road
There is talk that the "Lugansk People's Republic" are about to open a "state" bank. ATM bank cars will be issued primarily to state workers and segments of unpaid/overdue salaries will be "credited" to these cards for funds to be withdrawn in the near future. Meanwhile many state workers are being paid part of their salaries in cash, some as much as four months in arrears.

I feel that the action being taken by the Ukraine authorities by frustrating citizens bearing their own Ukraine passports from leaving the pro-Russian separatist region readily is only increasing the feeling that these Donbas citizens already have that Ukraine has abandoned them. The actions of cutting them off from banking, postal services, pensions etc isn't conducive to winning the hearts and minds of those many people who were not seeking to become part of Russia.
I am beginning to wonder if the current Ukraine government is preparing itself for the possible future severance from the "occupied" zones, realizing that the cost of repairing and supporting this depleted zone might be more than it can afford?
Old 27th March 2015, 17:12

Cracks appearing in "Republic's" friendship?

I have heard a story that the Donetsk and Lugansk "Republics" don't have a cohesive agenda regarding their future development of policies and modus operandi. I'm told that the Donetsk gang in particular are unhappy with their Lugansk mob associates.

Also heard that Debaltseve citizens are being kept well supplied with basic foodstuffs including butter and eggs being described as "humanitarian aid". I suspect that this is part of the drive to bring those remaining residents of Debaltseve firmly on the side of the new regime. I believe that the generous provision of Debaltseve will come at the expense of lesser provision elsewhere in the DNR and LNR.

Somewhat unbelievably,I've heard that a band of Cossack soldiers have recently intervened to stop reparations of the war damaged railway line intended to reconnect Donetsk with Lugansk. It is alleged that they actually destroyed one section of reparations and took away the engineering gang from the worksite!

It is also reported from Debaltseve that whilst the heavy guns have been removed from Debaltseve by the pro-Russians, it appears that the number of soldiers bearing small arms in the town has actually increased (some talking a foreign language), and that several military defensive structures are being built.
Old 13th April 2015, 19:26

Update from Crimea

Connected to an old friend in Crimea yesterday. He says that the winter frosts were most damaging to the fruit trees and grape vines again last winter. Consequently crop yields be low again this year. Not that this is of great concern because much of last years crops raised an uneconomic price as demand was low due to the absence of tourists and local people being strapped for cash.

He continued that for many wages were now insufficient to pay escalating living costs. Only the Police (which have been greatly increased in number) are being paid wages that can match the higher living costs. Indeed he says the Police and associated roles are the only people who can claim an improvement of lifestyle since the Russian takeover. He continued, that you cannot express you views in public for fear of being reported. Many neighbours are still pro-Russian and could report you to the authorities.

A train is now being run on alternative days between Lugansk and Donetsk via Debaltseve. I'm told that the ticket price from Lugansk to Debaltseve is 15 UAH.
Old 13th April 2015, 19:33

Update from Crimea

Connected to an old friend in Crimea yesterday. He says that the winter frosts were most damaging to the fruit trees and grape vines again last winter. Consequently crop yields be low again this year. Not that this is of great concern because much of last years crops raised an uneconomic price as demand was low due to the absence of tourists and local people being strapped for cash.

He continued that for many wages were now insufficient to pay escalating living costs. Only the Police (which have been greatly increased in number) are being paid wages that can match the higher living costs. Indeed he says the Police and associated roles are the only people who can claim an improvement of lifestyle since the Russian takeover. He continued, that you cannot express you views in public for fear of being reported. Many neighbours are still pro-Russian and could report you to the authorities.

A train is now being run on alternate days from Lugansk to Donetsk via Debaltseve. The ticket price from Lugansk to Debalseve is 15 Hryvnia.
Old 1st May 2015, 21:30

klb1182 is on a distinguished road
That is unfortunate that there is still a fear of not being able to speak out for that which you believe - so often we take that for granted!

What is the currency conversion for that ticket price - my usual website is not loading for me this afternoon!
Old 2nd October 2015, 12:24

Lady contact speaking from Lugansk

I'm told that the "People's Republic of Lugansk" (LNR) have paid both pensions and "government" salaries for the month of September (in Russian Rubles). She also says that people there are saying that noticeable numbers of separatist "soldiers" are being discharged of their duties. Some of these men are being offered a contract to serve in an undisclosed location.
Old 2nd October 2015, 17:32

stepanstas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotno Gizmo View Post
I'm told that the "People's Republic of Lugansk" (LNR) have paid both pensions and "government" salaries for the month of September (in Russian Rubles). She also says that people there are saying that noticeable numbers of separatist "soldiers" are being discharged of their duties. Some of these men are being offered a contract to serve in an undisclosed location.
That is very interesting. I'm curious why the scale down in soldiers. Is it because they are feeling more comfortable and don't need them or because they are less interested in fighting now.