Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Current Events

Notices

Ukraine's telephone talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16th March 2015, 20:20

Gotno Gizmo is on a distinguished road
Reply to Hannia

GG. How true or how false is following? Any word?
=====================================
Fighting rages near Donetsk airport despite Ukraine ceasefire
Gabriela Baczynska SPARTAK, Ukraine Mon Mar 16, 2015 REUTERS

Sorry, I'm unable to confirm this thus far. I have only heard of occasional small arms fire being exchanged in recent days.
Old 17th March 2015, 19:29

Gotno Gizmo is on a distinguished road
Snow once again in Ukraine!

A drop in temperature with snowfall has been reported today in Donbas.
Snow has been also been reported in Crimea sufficient to cause several serious road accidents around Simferopol, Sevastopol and surrounding areas.

Many pro-Russians must be relieved to learn that their beloved leader is not severely ill or deposed from power as he has been seen once again on TV.
Old 19th March 2015, 13:00

Hannia will become famous soon enough
???
13:37 19.03.2015 INTERFAX-UKRAINE
Support for joining EU rises one year after Revolution of Dignity – poll

After the Revolution of Dignity the number of Ukrainians who support joining the Eurasian Customs Union has fallen almost threefold, according to the results of the poll conducted by the Kyiv International Institute of Sociology (KIIS) through February 14-24.

According to the poll, the number of supporters of joining the Eurasian Customs Union dropped from 35% to 12% when compared to September, 2013. The number of supporters of joining the EU grew from 41% to 47%, and the number of those who don't want to join either increased from 9% to 27%.

"It means that the changes that happened to people's views had two results: a part of the people changed their mind in favor of the pro-European integration course, and another part are the people condemning Russia's actions, but don't support joining the EU and now are inclined towards Ukraine's independent course," reads the statement issued by the KIIS.

According to the poll, 50.7% of respondents would vote to join the EU at a referendum, 25.7% – would vote against, and another 23.6% wouldn’t vote or haven't decided yet. Therefore, if a referendum for joining the EU had taken place in February, 76.4% of people would have voted. Their votes would have been divided as follows: 66.4% would have voted in favor, 33.6% – against joining the EU.

The KIIS said that pro-European sentiment in Ukraine increased after February 2014, meaning the rise was mostly due to Russian aggression and not the Euromaidan events.

A total of 2,013 respondents over 18 years old were surveyed in 108 populated areas of all the regions of Ukraine, except for Crimea. The poll was conducted in Donetsk and Luhansk regions in both Ukrainian and militant controlled territory. Support for joining EU rises one year after Revolution of Dignity – poll

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp
Old 19th March 2015, 13:07

klb1182 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotno Gizmo View Post
Many pro-Russians must be relieved to learn that their beloved leader is not severely ill or deposed from power as he has been seen once again on TV.
Oh, this made me giggle more than it probably should have.

Gotno Gizmo - As always, thank you for providing a glimpse into the lives of folks far across the globe from me - these quick descriptions really spark my imagination, and I really like that they're more 'personal' than a standard news report or journalistic article...they're like journal or diary entries!
Old 19th March 2015, 14:53

Kim.

I agree that GG 's telephone posts are interesting, truthful and valuable, but overall social media is not all it's cracked up to be.

excerpt:
Until recently, Pryannikov writes, “it was thought that the Internet was creating an alternative news space in opposition to television agitprop. However, over the last two or three years, the Kremlin has quite successfully been able to impose its presence in the Russian segment of the Internet” not only in specific news sites “but also in social networks.” Russian government Internet trolls effective in forming pro-Putin opinion among youth -Euromaidan Press |

æ, !

Old 19th March 2015, 17:16

klb1182 is on a distinguished road
Right - it's definitely not a substitute for reliable news outlets, but sometimes you can capture the true essence of the human condition when people are placed in situations that are extreme. It certainly serves as a reminder of how things could be, for those of us from vastly different backgrounds, politically and culturally.
Old 19th March 2015, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by klb1182 View Post
Right - it's definitely not a substitute for reliable news outlets, but sometimes you can capture the true essence of the human condition when people are placed in situations that are extreme. It certainly serves as a reminder of how things could be, for those of us from vastly different backgrounds, politically and culturally.
I agree that human interest rules in social media.
-----------------------
Once this war is over, you might consider traveling to Ukraine. I know you would find both the country and its people very engaging.

æ, !