Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Current Events

Notices

Rumblings From East Ukraine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26th February 2018, 14:19

Hannia will become famous soon enough
Will a UN peacekeeping operation finally unfold in the occupied Donbas?
EUROMAIDAN PRESS

Since February 2015, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has been voicing the idea of a UN peacekeeping operation in Ukraine’s occupied Donbas region. The Russian officials rejected the very idea of an international peacekeeping mission every time until last September when Russian President Vladimir Putin reversed the rejection and voiced his view on the peacekeeping process. No mission has been approved since then, but the discussion has started and continues by now. How fast can the peacekeepers be deployed? Will Russia fully lose its control of the Donbas due to the operation? What is the matter of debate between Ukraine and Russia on the peacekeeping?

1. Why are the UN peacekeepers not still deployed in the conflict zone in the Donbas?
Ukraine has been calling to deploy a UN peacekeeping mission in the Donbas since February 2015. Russia had rejected any peacekeeping efforts since then. In September 2017, Putin made his own proposal which included limitations detrimental to Ukraine. Ukraine and Russia haven’t agreed the UN mission’s composition and mandate by now.

Back in February 2015 just as the Minsk-2 peace agreement was signed, Ukraine’s President Petro Poroshenko called for UN and EU peacekeepers to monitor a ceasefire in eastern Ukraine. Later Mr.Poroshenko raised the same issue a few more times.

Russia rejected all the proposals, alleging that the Minsk agreements do not imply any peacekeeping force. The last time Russia rejected a UN presence was on 2 September 2017. And three days later, on 5 September 2017, Russia’s President Vladimir Putin reversed Russia’s rejection and himself proposed to bring UN “blue helmets” into Ukraine’s Donbas. However, what Putin talked about wasn’t a full-fledged UN peace enforcement mission, it was a rather limited force that would only freeze the conflict.

2. What is the difference between the Ukrainian and Russian views on the peacekeeping mission?
Ukraine wants peacekeepers to be deployed throughout the entire occupied area, including the 423-kilometer stretch of the Ukraine-Russia border currently controlled by the Russian-run pseudo republics, “DNR” and “LNR.” Russia proposed the peacekeepers be restricted to the “contact line” between government-controlled and uncontrolled territories merely to ensure the security of the OSCE staff involved in the ceasefire monitoring process under the Minsk agreements.

http://i0.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=742%2C577
The occupied part of the Donbas region in Eastern Ukraine. Ukraine proposes to deploy UN peacekeepers throughout the entire territory, including the uncontrolled stretch of the state border, while Russia wants them deployed only along the Minsk-2 ‘line of contact’ (the black line on the map) to preserve the full Russian control of the region. Map: Euromaidan Press

What Ukraine proposes is a robust UN peace enforcement mission consistent with Chapter VII of the UN Charter (“Threats to the Peace, Breaches of the Peace and Acts of Aggression”). What Russia envisages is a tightly constrained deployment based on the more modest provisions of Chapter VI (“Pacific Settlement of Disputes”).

Ukrainian representatives say that peacekeepers must be deployed primarily in the 423-kilometer section of the Ukrainian-Russian border, which is currently not controlled by Ukraine, and through which military equipment, armaments, military personnel, and mercenaries arrive from Russia, peacekeepers must stay throughout the non-government-controlled territory of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts.

Meanwhile, according to Russia’s President Putin, “these forces should be located on the demarcation line only and on no other territories” and the conflict would not be resolved with additional security, but “only after disengaging the parties and removing the heavy equipment” which “cannot be resolved without direct contact with representatives of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic and Luhansk People’s Republic.”

Ukraine’s President Poroshenko stressed that Russia, as the country-aggressor must be excluded from the peacekeeping mission per the key principles of UN peacekeeping operations.

As Dmytro Shulga, European Program Initiative Director at the International Renaissance Foundation in Ukraine, stresses, “the difference is not only about the area of deployment and control over the border and the composition of forces – but also about the mandate, and most importantly here is the task of disarmament of the illegal military groups.” Ukraine intends to disarm the illegal groups and wants Russia to withdraw the military, mercenaries, equipment, as the Minsk agreements demand. Russia is committed to preserving its military presence.

3. What would happen if Russia’s proposal is accepted?
The smoldering conflict would rather be frozen for years or decades than resolved.

Secretary of State for European and American affairs at the British Foreign Office, Alan Duncan, commented on Putin’s peacekeeping initiative, “The proposals submitted by Russia to the United Nations seem tempting, but they can be aimed not at restoring the supremacy of international law, but at freezing violations.”

Former NATO Deputy Secretary General Alexander Vershbow noted, “We may find very quickly that the whole thing is purely a PR maneuver designed to give Russia the appearance of being a peacemaker but actually is prolonging or alternatively freezing the conflict – either would be an unacceptable outcome.”

Ukraine’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Pavlo Klimkin said, “So far, Russia is willing to retain its protectorate over the area, legalize it by introducing a very limited number of peacekeepers, and move on. If this happens, there will be nothing there by definition.”

The conflict in Moldova’s Transnistrian region has been frozen for more than 26 years while Russia continues to fully control the region. In 1992, Russia legitimized its military presence in Transnistria as a peacekeeping force under the ceasefire agreement between Moldova and Transnistria. The Russian contingent stays in Moldova by now, keeping the region from reintegrating into Moldova. Deploying the UN troops exclusively along the contact line in the Donbas instead of the entire occupied territory may have the similar effect: the conflict will be frozen, the territory will formally remain in Ukraine but Russia will keep full control of it.

4. Does the peacekeeping operation really contradict the Minsk peace agreements as Russia stated?
The Minsk agreements neither deny nor approve the peacekeeping efforts, they don’t mention them.

The Package of Measures for the Implementation of the Minsk Agreements, also known as Minsk-2, does not mention peacekeeping missions. Instead, they do state that full Ukrainian government control has to be restored over the state border, throughout the conflict zone. In addition, all foreign armed groups, weapons, and mercenaries have to be withdrawn from Ukrainian territory under the OSCE monitoring.

The U.S. special envoy to Ukraine, Kurt Volker believes that the introduction of peacekeepers would be a transmission mechanism to run the Minsk peace process, “We already have the Minsk agreement, which Russia has accepted. The issue is not the deal, the issue is if Russia will uphold it. If Russia will uphold it, then we have the peacekeeping force as a transmission mechanism,” he said.

5. If Russia agrees, when the operation may start and how many troops are required?
It may take at least 6-10 months for the UN to deploy the mission. The force should consist of some 20,000 soldiers from non-NATO countries and 4,000 police.

Ukraine’s FM Pavlo Klimkin notices:

“If a political decision is made, then, as a rule, it takes at least six, nine or 10 months, or even more, for the United Nations to deploy the mission, and this is a rather large-scale mission,” Klimkin said, speaking on Ukraine’s ICTV channel. “But this does not mean that this will happen at any one point in time, at a certain moment. This will happen in stages. It is important for it to be happening in a way not to let Russia freeze the process at some stage and exploit it to put pressure on us and the West,” he added.

The United Nations should consider a force of some 20,000 soldiers from non-NATO countries and 4,000 police to help resolve the crisis in Ukraine, according to a recent report prepared by Richard Gowan, an expert on the United Nations at Columbia University, for top officials.

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp
Old 26th February 2018, 14:21

Will a UN peacekeeping operation finally unfold in the occupied Donbas?
EUROMAIDAN Pt 2

6. Will Russia lose control of the occupied Ukrainian territories if the peacekeeping mission will be deployed?
The peacekeeping mission itself may just stop the hostilities. If Russia later fulfills its part of the Minsk agreements, the Kremlin will mostly lose military control of the Donbas. However, as a result of years-long severe pro-Kremlin anti-Ukrainian propaganda, Russia will have political control even if Ukraine will carry out the elections in the region.

The deployment of the peacekeeping mission will just lay grounds to freeze the whole situation. If Russia will withdraw its troops, equipment, and mercenaries from the region, it will mostly lose its military control of the region which is presently absolute. However, the local authorities of ORDLO (certain areas of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts) which should be elected under Ukrainian laws will have the right to create “people’s militia units.”

Ukraine’s FM Klimkin assures that the real preparations for local elections will begin not immediately after the deployment of the peacekeeping mission in the entire occupied territory, but after the disarmament will be complete and the real security will be ensured by the international policing force. “And only then, when the situation is completely reset and there is no such thing as occupation authorities there, real preparations for the elections begin,” says Klimkin.

However, after the years of local and Russian anti-Ukrainian propaganda, most of the local residents will probably elect pro-Russian candidates into the local councils and into the Ukrainian parliament.

7. What countries will join the peacekeeping mission in the Donbas?
The adviser to Ukrainian president proposed Sweden to become a lead nation in the UN mission and welcomed other non-NATO countries to participate in the operation. Sweden, Belarus, and Finland are ready to deploy their peacekeepers in the Donbas. However, Ukraine’s MFA believes Belarus cannot participate in the operation since it remains a member of the Russian-led Collective Security Treaty Organization.

In his report, UN expert Richard Gowan considers that “The operation would need a mix of some European [non-NATO] countries, such as Sweden, countries with a track record in peacekeeping, such as Brazil, and countries that have Russia’s trust, such as Belarus.” The report was commissioned by former NATO chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen, now an adviser to Ukraine’s president. The report was presented to top officials at the latest Munich Security Conference.

As of now, three countries, Sweden, Belarus, and Finland have announced their readiness to make a contribution to peacekeeping in the Donbas.

Meanwhile, Ukrainian MFA states that Belarus cannot participate in a UN peacekeeping force in the Donbas due to its membership of the Russian-led Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO). Ukrainian Deputy Foreign Minister Olena Zerkal explained, “As far as I know, Belarus has not quit the CSTO and is a member of this organization. If we exclude NATO, it is very logical that we do not say that CSTO countries also participate in the mission.”

As the brokers of Minsk agreements, Germany and France could contribute to UN peacekeeping in the Donbas. However, its next to impossible that Russia would agree for the troops of two NATO member countries in the Donbas near its borders.

8. Will the UN peacekeeping operation unfold in the occupied Donbas?
It may, everything depends on Russia.
Will a UN peacekeeping operation finally unfold in the occupied Donbas? -Euromaidan Press |

æ, !

Old 29th March 2018, 04:46

Blacksmith, legionnaire, brother of fallen Cyborg: 3 soldiers of Donbas Battalion fighting close to home
EUROMAIDAN PRESS Anastasiya Fedchenko 2018/03/25 - 11:55

There are many men from the Donbas on the front lines. Most of them speak Russian, some speak “surzhyk” (colourful mixture of Ukrainian and Russian), and some Ukrainian. But, they all have a common dream – to return all the occupied territories to Ukraine… Not one will stop lay down his arms and stop fighting until their dream has been fulfilled.

We take a look at three men serving in the 46th Separate Special-Purpose Battalion “Donbas-Ukraine” and fighting to free their Donbas.

SERHIY
http://i2.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=300%2C226
Serhiy, Donbas-Ukraine Battalion. Photo: Anastasiya Fedchenko

The ground is still covered with snow, but the morning showers, which were replaced by a heavy fog after lunch, have turned the snow into a skating rink. It’s hard to walk on ice; our legs slide to and fro and sideways. We barely manage to keep with a middle-aged soldier called Serhiy.

We’re walking through the empty streets of his mother’s native birthplace – the village Travneve, Donetsk Oblast, which the Ukrainian army recaptured from the Russian mercenaries end of 2017.

… It seems that nobody lives here. There are no elderly ladies sitting in groups at the gates, no children playing in the streets. We meet a young woman on the street. She looks at Serhiy and shouts in a strong Russian accent:

“Hey there, when are you gonna let us through to Horlivka…?”

When they hear such comments from the locals, the soldiers usually shrug their shoulders and say that no one will be allowed into neighbouring Horlivka until it’s been liberated by Ukrainian forces.

The fog falls like a dense veil unobtrusively over the village. We head towards the Ukrainian positions near the contact line. Serhiy tells us that his mother used to go to school here, in Travneve, and he himself is from the district centre, Bakhmut. But, he always spent his holidays here as a child – in Travneve and Hladosovo, on the outskirts of Horlivka.

Today, Serhiy takes up his position and observes the industrial zone in the suburbs of occupied Horlivka. He moves quickly and carefully because the enemy machine gunners follow the movements of Ukrainian soldiers closely.

“The fog is our ally. They can’t see us now…” remarks Serhiy.

We stand on the trench and peer into the fog.

“There it is — the industrial zone. It’s covered in fog. The enemy uses SPGs and AGSs; large-caliber sniper rifles – 12.7, even 14.5 – have reached the village. And, take a look over there… you can see the grenade launchers covered in snow. I gotta admit they really know how to shoot!”

Serhiy enlisted end of 2016, and in March 2017, he joined the Donbas-Ukraine Battalion, which is part of the 54th Bakhmut Brigade.

Serhiy takes a hammer from a nearby porch and shows it to us with proudly:
“I made this myself. After all, I’m a blacksmith. I didn’t even ask for leave at my workplace when I left for the front… I thought I’d just go, do some fighting, then we’d finish off this war quickly and cleanly, and I’d return home.”

Serhiy is fighting to return his childhood home to his country.

BOHDAN
http://i2.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=601%2C675
Bohdan, Donbas-Ukraine Battalion. Photo: Anastasiya Fedchenko

25-year-old Bohdan from Volnovakha works alongside Serhiy. This is his fifth spring on the front lines.

“It’s calmer now, but before it was much more fun. Well, we try to stick to the truce, but they just keep up the firing and shelling. They know very well they’re breaking the truce.”

He tells us how the other day the militants hung the so-called “DNR” flag near their checkpoint in order to annoy the Ukrainian soldiers.

“They’re just trying to show off.” Bohdan smiles disdainfully.

He’s one of the best-known fighters stationed at this position. At the end of 2016, Bohdan was selected for the French Legion – one of the most elite military formations in the world. The Legion participates in peacekeeping operations and special operations under the auspices of the UN and NATO in such hot spots as Afghanistan, Somalia, etc. He spent five months in intensive training, but in the end, changed his mind about becoming one of the eight thousand legionnaires. He knew that the war was here, at home.

Bohdan first fought in the Artemivsk Battalion and subsequently joined Donbas-Ukraine.

“I can’t imagine life without war. I will defend my Homeland to the end, and I know that we’re all ready to fight to the bitter end!”

It starts raining again… Bohdan’s cheeks are red from the cold. He tells us how war began in the Donetsk region in the spring of 2014, how the local vermin and common riff-raff were armed by Russian ringleaders through the Kremlin. He says he and his brothers are ready to defend their positions and to start an offensive.

“We won’t let the enemy sit back and relax. Everything will be fine. Ukraine will live forever!”

OLEKSANDR
http://i2.wp.com/euromaidanpress.com...size=555%2C675
Olekdandr, Donbas-Ukraine Battalion. Photo: Anastasiya Fedchenko

Oleksandr is deployed somewhere else. He’s got black hair and dark eyes. He turned 25 in February.

“They tell us there’s a “spring truce”, but the enemy fires at us in the evening and in the morning, sometimes all day… But, as long as everyone’s alive…they use DShKs (heavy machine guns), 12.7 and 14.5 caliber.”

He says that the terrorists have started firing randomly, but just making sure the bullets are flying towards the “Ukrops” (Ukies).

“They pick up all the drunks they can find, put a weapon in their hands and tell them to shoot. They’re just trying to provoke us.”

Oleksandr is from Luhansk Oblast; he lived near Shchastia. He tells us about the so-called “Russian spring” in 2014:

“There were a lot of attacks and provocations; they wanted all the young men to join the so-called “Luhansk republic”. I was lucky… I got out and travelled as fast as I could to Mykolayiv, where I have relatives. There, I went to the recruiting station and in 2015, I was serving my country on the front lines.”

Oleksandr is literally fighting for his home.

“This is Ukraine… Donetsk, Luhansk – it’s all Ukraine. I really don’t know what they, those guys in the “DNR/LNR”, are fighting for. They’re complete fools.”

Has Oleksandr ever imagined that he might come face to face with a childhood friend fighting for the enemy?

“That’s quite possible. But, it’s too late now; we’ve parted ways. I just don’t understand how they let themselves be brainwashed to such an extent. This is our Ukrainian land.”

Oleksandr’s wife and one-month old daughter live in the Ukrainian-controlled part of Luhansk Oblast.

We ask him what he dreams of most…

“I want Luhansk to be returned to Ukraine. It’s a pleasant city with good educational institutions and hospitals.”

Later, Oleksandr tells us about his older brother who was killed during the Battle for Donetsk Airport in 2014. He refuses to go into detail because it’s still too painful. His brother was seven years older.

Now, Oleksandr has become the older brother. He has a younger sister who dreams of becoming a cook on a military ship.

Translated by: Christine Chraibi
Source: Novynarnia
Blacksmith, legionnaire, brother of fallen Cyborg: 3 soldiers of Donbas Battalion fighting close to home -Euromaidan Press |

æ, !

Old 15th April 2018, 15:23

INTERFAX-UKRAINE 14:46 14.04.2018
Ukrainian army's HQ reports 1 WIA in Donbas amid 43 enemy attacks in past 24 hours

Russia's hybrid military forces have attacked Ukrainian army positions in Donbas 43 times in the past 24 hours, with one Ukrainian soldier reported as wounded in action (WIA), the press center for the headquarters of Ukraine's military operations in Donbas has reported.

"The Russian-occupation troops continue ignoring the regime of a complete cease-fire. Over the past day, the aggressor has mounted 43 shelling attacks on the positions of the Armed Forces of Ukraine," the press center of the headquarters of Ukraine's military operations reported on Facebook Saturday morning.

In the Luhansk sector, the invaders used 120mm and 82mm mortars, cannons of infantry fighting vehicles, grenade launchers, and heavy machine guns banned by the Minsk accords to attack Ukrainian fortified positions near the village of Troyitske. The enemy also resorted to 82mm mortars near the village of Krymske, while grenade launchers and small arms were used near the village of Zaitseve. The defenders of the town of Svitlodarsk came under fire from heavy machine guns.

In the Donetsk sector, the militants fired 82mm mortars on the Ukrainian positions near the villages of Opytne and Kamianka. In addition, grenade launchers were used to attack the Ukrainian army positions near the towns of Avdiyivka and Maryinka, and the villages of Vodiane, Kamianka, Pavlopil, Lebedynske, and Bohdanivka. The aggressor also used heavy machine guns near Nevelske, Avdiyivka, Maryinka, Pavlopil, and Butovka coal mine, as well as cannons of infantry fighting vehicles near Talakivka, Kamianka and Bohdanivka. The defenders of Kamianka, Opytne, Lebedynske, Talakivka, Pavlopil, Vodiane, and Butovka coal mine came under fire from small arms, while an enemy sniper was active near Avdiyivka. https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/498924.html

æ, !

Old 15th April 2018, 15:25

INTERFAX-UKRAINE 18:54 13.04.2018
Over 40 countries ready to take part in peacekeeping mission in Donbas – Poroshenko

Over forty countries are ready to participate in the peacekeeping operation in the occupied territory of Donbas, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko has said.

"At present, more than forty countries have agreed to participate in the peacekeeping operation," Poroshenko said in an interview with Ukrainian television channels on Friday evening.

He noted that "the issue of peacekeepers is extremely important" to Ukraine.

"A year and a half ago the world did not want even to listen about peacekeepers – they said it was very expensive, it's several billion dollars... no one will go to Ukraine to help Ukraine establish peace as a key element of the Minsk agreements and return of the territories occupied by Russia under Ukrainian sovereignty," Poroshenko said.
https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/498818.html

æ, !

Old 19th April 2018, 15:54

Regaining by force or abandoning Donbas: Experts name four scenarios for east Ukraine developments
According to experts, the current situation being preserved until 2020 would be the most sustainable scenario.
UNIAN 13:40, 19 April 2018

Neither war nor peace; return by peaceful means; return by force; and the abandonment of the occupied territories – these are the key options for Donbas developments for the coming years.

Experts of the Ukrainian Institute for the Future (UIF) have been studying the issue from the beginning of the year, trying to assess probability of each of the scenarios, the Novoe Vremya weekly reported.

At the same time, UIF analysts consider the current status quo in Donbas, namely the scenario of "neither war nor peace," the most probable and most sustainable one.

Meanwhile, most Ukrainians, judging by a late-March survey by GfK Ukraine, fail to grasp the essence of the recently adopted law on the reintegration of the occupied territories, and neither do they believe it is possible to return Donbas by such means. At the same time, all respondents would like to see the conflict resolved peacefully.

Scenario No. 1: Neither war nor peace
Probability: 75%
According to experts, this is the most sustainable scenario: preservation of the current situation until 2020, i.e. until the new president and parliament are elected in Ukraine. Under this course of events, the Ukrainian political elite will be reluctant to take drastic steps that could violate the existing status quo. No clear and concrete plan for the region's return will emerge so the risks will rise of some unexpected failures will.

Russia might actively employ provocations at the front line as a tool to respond to any increase in pressure on the part of Kyiv or international institutions. Clashes are possible as a way for the Kremlin to warn the West, NATO and other organizations against engaging in the conflict even in case of its sharp aggravation.

Experts also believe that the split in society will be widening against the background of an increasing number of war veterans.

Scenario No. 2: Return by peaceful means
Probability: 18%
Most likely, such a development will immediately follow the previous scenario, whenever it is completed. Peaceful return is possible in two ways: a "Trojan horse" and a "peacekeeping mission."

The "Trojan horse" actually means the implementation of the Russian version of Minsk agreements. In this case, currently occupied territories will come under the formal jurisdiction of Ukraine. Many militants will be granted amnesty. Local elections will be held in the region where pro-Russian forces will win. As a result, a steady balance will be broken in Ukrainian politics as political parties oriented toward Russia will get more support. Therefore, Donbas will gain a special status and autonomy with the ability to influence Kyiv, while the latter will be limited in its impact on the "republics."

According to experts, the "peacekeeping mission" is a more realistic option: the introduction into the region of a limited contingent of foreign peacekeepers under international mandate. However, chances are very high that the "blue helmets" will be deployed on the front line with the self-proclaimed republics, not on the Ukraine-Russia border. In this case, Ukraine will not get full access to the occupied part, so the situation will develop according to the scenario of Transnistria.

Scenario No. 3: Non-Ukrainian Donbas: Ukraine's abandonment of its eastern territories and their direct annexation by Russia
Probability: 5%
This is the most painful scenario for the nation's self-consciousness. It can become a reality if a pro-Russian candidate wins the presidential election – for example, someone from the former Party of Regions. Another option is if the victory will be sealed by a politician declaring the need for a dialogue with Vladimir Putin. The official recognition of Donbas non-Ukrainian will create a coalition within the country against the initiator of such actions. Mass discontent will cause protests and rallies, since the war that lasted four years affected many layers of the population. Military, volunteers, and activists will rally against authorities. The situation in the country will become dangerous. The only advantage is that the authorities will be forced to act very concretely, strengthening borders and refusing from making any obligations to the population of "republics."

Scenario No. 4: Return of Donbas by military means
Probability: 2%
This is the least likely scenario, although today's Ukrainian army is fully capable of large-scale military actions. If the authorities decide to return the occupied territories by force, the offensive will take place along the entire demarcation line, i.e. about 500 km of the front line. Given the large number of militants deployed in the occupied territories, (according to various estimates, it's a 30,000 to 50,000-strong force), the striking grouping of the Armed Forces of Ukraine will need to amount to no less than 100,000 troops (this is almost equaling to all infantry units available today). The main offensive must be focused in two or three directions, where commanders will deploy a major part of the infantry with the support of the armored units. The latter force should employ at least 1,500-2,000 armored vehicles. Such a scenario presupposes militarization of society and, even more likely, introduction of martial law across the country.
UNIAN: https://www.unian.info/war/10087073-...elopments.html

æ, !

Old 24th April 2018, 17:12

Escalation in Donbas: 44 enemy attacks on Ukraine, 5 WIA's in last day
The militants used proscribed weapons both in the Donetsk and Luhansk sectors.
UNIAN 09:47, 24 April 2018

Russia's hybrid military forces attacked Ukrainian army positions in Donbas 44 times in the past 24 hours, with five Ukrainian soldiers reported as wounded in action (WIA).

"In the Luhansk sector, the occupiers fired 120mm and 82mm mortars and grenade launchers at our fortified positions near the village of Troyitske. The enemy also used 82mm mortars near the town of Popasna and three times near the village of Novo-Oleksandrivka. In addition, the defenders of the village of Novozvanivka came under fire from grenade launchers and heavy machine guns, while those in the village of Novoselivka were attacked with the use of an anti-aircraft gun and small arms," the press center of the headquarters of Ukraine's military operations reported on Facebook on Tuesday morning.

In the Donetsk sector, the Russian occupation forces used 120mm mortars to shell the Ukrainian positions near the village of Vodiane, while the positions near Butivka coal mine came under 82mm mortar fire.

"The militants also opened fire from grenade launchers, heavy machine guns and small arms to attack the defenders of the town of Avdiyivka, Butivka mine, the villages of Verkhniotoretske, Vodiane, Hnutove, Kamianka and Talakivka. Moreover, our fortified positions near the town of Maryinka, and the villages of Pavlopil and Lebedynske came under fire from heavy machine guns, as well as from small arms near the villages of Nevelske, Pavlopil, Lebedynske and Pyshchevyk. A sniper was active near the towns of Krasnohorivka and Maryinka," the report says.
UNIAN: https://www.unian.info/war/10092230-...-last-day.html

æ, !