Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Current Events

Notices

Crimea

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 7th March 2014, 18:40

sjoyce is on a distinguished road
Might I just add something here. Many analysts believe that if Ukraine can extract its gas reserves, and they are huge, the country could pay off all its debts. I live just a few miles from where fracking is taking place daily. No water problems or destruction of the environment. I also live where there is mining of oil sands. Our province gains billions every year from the royalties. Selling out to Chevron. I don't agree. Exploration costs millions of dollars that I believe the Ukrainian government doesn't have. Most governments could not afford this type of financial outlay.
Old 7th March 2014, 23:20

Hannia is on a distinguished road
Crimea Referendum
Crimean "referendum" a grotesque farce :: khpg.org.ua
Old 8th March 2014, 03:34

stepanstas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoyce View Post
Might I just add something here. Many analysts believe that if Ukraine can extract its gas reserves, and they are huge, the country could pay off all its debts. I live just a few miles from where fracking is taking place daily. No water problems or destruction of the environment. I also live where there is mining of oil sands. Our province gains billions every year from the royalties. Selling out to Chevron. I don't agree. Exploration costs millions of dollars that I believe the Ukrainian government doesn't have. Most governments could not afford this type of financial outlay.
Yea, I'm in support of it. I do think it requires serious thought and serious supervision but this is the main chance Western Ukraine has to hold a key puzzle to Ukraine.
Old 8th March 2014, 16:54

Ukraine crisis: Tensions flare amid military standoff in Crimea - CNN.com
===================================================================================
Ukraine crisis live: Warning shots fired as international monitors refused entry to Crimea - Telegraph

Old 8th March 2014, 17:53

Crimea is clearly Russia annexing a part of Ukraine without Ukraine's consent. The referendum is there to give it the veneer of legitimacy.

And for all the new USSR experts that say Crimea only became part of the Ukraine in 1954, it doesn't matter in the eyes of international law. Russia agreed to honor Ukraine's boundaries, with the Crimea as part of Ukraine, in 1993. Any claims on Ukraine before that date are voided by Russia's recognition of the post USSR borders of Ukraine. Direct armed annexation would be indefensible, thus the "referendum."
========================================================
Crimean Tatar call on all Crimeans to boycott 3/16/2014 referendum
Crimean Tatars call on all Crimeans to boycott "referendum" :: khpg.org.ua

What is in the referendum?
Crimean "referendum" a grotesque farce :: khpg.org.ua

PETITION: Mr Putin: We ethnic Russians and Russian speakers don’t need protection
Mr Putin: We ethnic Russians and Russian speakers dont need protection :: khpg.org.ua
Old 9th March 2014, 08:53

Crimean guest is on a distinguished road
The true situation in the Crimea

Hi. I was born in the Crimea and have been living here for 30 years. I try to tell you the real situation in the peninsula if you really are interested in. So if you have any questions you may ask. You know Ukrainian mass media lies a lot. The ajority of our inhabitants consider Putin not the invador but a person who can save us. =[p']Most people in the Crimea dont support the new government in Kiev. For us they are the real aggressive persons. They hate Russians. And the new Ukrainian 'government' made a real mess in the country. We dont want to have the same situation as in Kiev so we tried to defend our peninsula. And its awful that the representatives from the European countries show only the position of the people in the Square of Independence but not the peaceful people who work a lot and dont have time to stand at the squares for 3 months.
Old 9th March 2014, 16:19

If indeed you are a true representative of ethnic Russian Crimeans, please explain why the OSCE Monitors are not allowed in Crimea? These are international representatives, who would confirm what you claim.

Putin signed the Budapest Memorandum. He is now disregarding it.

I understand that there are talks under way and the American Missile Policy is being revisited. Soon you will be able to tell your fellow ethnic Russian friends, that they truly have something to worry about.

Personally I think that Crimea should be an independent country, and not another Russian satellite. Then Crimea can contract w/Ukraine for the water and energy it uses and ethnic Russian Crimeans, albeit a little poorer can feel secure.