Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Business

Notices

Londongrad

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11th May 2014, 07:44

ColinEaston01 is on a distinguished road
The city of London and the financial institutions therein will get the kicking they deserve if the UK sleepwalks itself out of the EU. The rise of UKIP and the eagerness of Conservative MP's to have a referendum to leave will only plunge us into a massive recession. The Scottish are voting on independance with the target of remaining within the EU.
I may move to Scotland!!
Old 11th May 2014, 13:32

Gotno Gizmo is on a distinguished road
Response to ColinEaston01

Colin,
I do not share your view that for the UK to leave the EU would plunge it into a recession. You assume that if the UK isn't part of the UK that nobody would wish to trade with it. Are you not aware that the most up and coming power house economies are all outside of the EU. The London banks have prospered to a large degree because they are not part of the ailing Euro but trade in their own Pound Sterling economy linked to the US Dollar.

Unemployment, although remaining significant in the UK, is among the lowest in the EU and subsequently sucks in workers from other EU states because they can find work there. I may not personally like the fact that UK workers "enjoy" less worker protection rights,comparatively lower pensions and lesser working conditions than other northern industrialised EU states, but I cannot disregard that in a global trading competitive capitalist society these factors help the UK to compete better than say Spain or France in the global trade environment.

The European Union is no longer just a customs union but has become an overblown and expensive honey pot for inept and underperforming club of politicos, who's elite earn more than presidents and prime ministers of most countries. Despite this, these elite politicos true merit in the European spectrum have been exposed by the USA and certain other European premiers, who have been seen to be responding much better with the crisis in Ukraine than any top EU politicians, who have been noticeable by their impotence, or absence.

During the increasing reign of the Brussels, Europe has become more dysfunctional and incohesive with Catalans and Basques seeking to separate from Spain. Now, as you have said Scotland has a referendum on leaving the Union of Great Britain this year. So much for European unity!

Today in east Ukraine citizens are participating in a referendum on obtaining federated status from Kiev. Although not a main reason, a contributing factor is that they do not want to associate themselves with the European Union and it's prerequisite hike in the of cost of living, linked with IMF loans and related "austerity" measures. Indeed I have to ask myself how much the European Union's Association Agreement has aggravated the unfolding events of Kiev's Euro Maidan, Ukraine's subsequent loss of Crimea, leading to Ukraine's current demise. Perhaps it would have been better for Ukraine if the EU had not existed.
Old 11th May 2014, 15:50

Hannia will become famous soon enough
10 good reasons not to vote for Ukip
Nigel Farage may seem genial but his party is anything but. The polls tell us that many voters are tempted to vote Ukip at the next election, while others dismiss them as a joke – but the prospect of them gaining more power in Europe is no laughing matter
Hugh Muir The Guardian, Tuesday 29 April 2014 14.04 EDT
There will be those, genuinely unhappy, who wish for tougher action on migration and a handbrake turn away from Europe. Both are hot-potato issues and Ukip serves up a mash more easily digestible than that available elsewhere.
10 good reasons not to vote for Ukip | Politics | The Guardian
=================================================================================
The British economy has grown in 2013 at the strongest rate in 6 yrs. The expectation for 2014 is 2.96. Farage provides nothing but a set of slogans. I agree w/Colin, if UKIP is allowed to take charge, the UK will no doubt head for a triple-dip recession. When the economy is starting to perform, why make changes? According to Farage, the gravy train includes your pension. GG, can you afford any kind of cut?

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp
Old 11th May 2014, 18:05

Response to Hannia

Your last post including it's attached Guardian article does not address any of the points raised in response to my previous post. It only addresses the behaviour of UKIP and some other anti-EU politicians.
The only salient aspect about the article that is incontrovertible is the amount of money costing hard pressed European taxpayers for its Members of Parliament's salaries and expenses. Then you have the thousands of Euro civil servants, translators etc, and I have not even mentioned the Commision and the many other branches of the EU old boys club gravy train.

You may not understand this, but one does not have to be a UKIP supporter to be a Euro-sceptic person. Ukip is a right wing party and I am much to the left of centre politics. There are many Conservative and Labour Party Euro-sceptics in Britain, and you will also find EU sceptics across a broad spectrum of political parties throughout Europe. Please don't brand Euro sceptics of having to be of a particularly unpleasant breed of citizen.

I would appreciate it if you could supply a link to another article (not produced by the European Union) that can show the EU has significantly helped Ukraine so far (other than transacting loans) that has brought real benefit to Ukraine without any pursuant present or pending negative reactions.
Old 11th May 2014, 21:55

sjoyce is on a distinguished road
The more I keep reading about the EU and Britain (I think the great has gone out of it) The sadder I am that so many Ukrainian Americans & Ukrainian Canadians lost their lives fighting for this lot. Was it worth it?
Old 11th May 2014, 22:18

Hannia will become famous soon enough
GG. Your views are withdrawalist, making your position hard eurosceptic. Hard eurosceptisiam is a hallmark of anti-establishment parties, whether left or right. My selection of this particular article was not to brand you specifically, but to set a UK backdrop to what I deem the economic consequences of withdrawal from EU.

æ, !

Hannia - Hania - Mighthelp
Old 12th May 2014, 16:37

Response to sjoyce & Hannia

sjoyce
"The more I keep reading about the EU and Britain (I think the great has gone out of it) The sadder I am that so many Ukrainian Americans & Ukrainian Canadians lost their lives fighting for this lot. Was it worth it?"

Virtually the whole of Europe had been attacked by a foul fascists regime that caused turmoil throughout Europe. The Red Army who were advancing against Hitler's forces in the east, aided by military supply convoys from the west to Murmansk, and useful military intelligence information on enemy movements. Had not Britain (who were never occupied apart from the Channel Islands) been given the outstanding support of the USA, Canada, along with other former UK commonwealth countries, free French etc, to mount a counter attack from the Normandy beaches, thus assisting in the destruction of the Third Reich, most of the world would now be in a very different position. If Hitler had not been defeated within that timescale his superior rocket technology and uninterrupted development of heavy water (nuclear fuel creation), Hitler, along with his allies Japan, would have been in a position to have zapped USA and Canada in time had it remained passive. If you are of Jewish origin you would not exist now, and if you are not, yould would be speaking in German and giving the Nazi salute at party meetings. I give sincere thanks to all those nationalities who lost their lives in this terrible time, and I deeply resent you tone.

Hannia
You still fail to supply any evidence of beneficial things that the EU has brought to Ukraine. On the question of my modest pension, I cannot see that the UK's membership of the EU is enhancing it in any way. Indeed if the UK government could save the billions of Pounds it gives to Brussels every year it might be in a better position to improve it.