Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Business

Notices

Importing Tools into Ukraine

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10th March 2013, 21:25

woodstock1 is on a distinguished road
Importing Tools into Ukraine

Hi everyone. I am married to a Ukrainian woman(since Oct 2012 please see my thread in the 'Moving'forum)and planning on moving to Odessa in the near furure. I am a skilled auto tech, with some expensive tools that I want to bring with me. I have considered using containerised transport, or filling a van and driving. My worry is import duty, I cannot get any sense from the people here in London.I would assume that when crossing the border, there will be a huge 'Duty' necessary to import them, as long as I have receipts to show they are mine. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to see them all disappear at the container port or at border control!!! Many thanks in advance for any help.....Si..
Old 12th March 2013, 13:57

rcshott is on a distinguished road
G'day mate, I'm an Aussie married a local girl & moved here last year. Whilst I can't give specifics on Tools, you DO seem to have a grip on things which I'm currently going through. I intended bringing all my furniture until my wife & several friends said "DO NOT"!!! I didn't listen & sent some family heirlooms in July last year, shipping cost me $4,000, and now it sits in a wear-house waiting for me to 'pay' duty. Indeed, the problem appears to be if someone at customs likes what they see it may simply disappear (stolen). If not, customs can (AND DO) simply whack a bloody big 'tax' on it, so you either pay or it gets 'confiscated'. They then sell it & the money goes into their pocket!!!

To get an answer from ANY customs officer is basically a non-event. Then... whatever you are told will change 100 times as you deal with others... BELIEVE ME....! Even though your tools may be used and you have receipts etc, you can write declarations until the cows come home, it is simply up to the people you deal with on the day. ALSO... driving through, you are likely to be searched for several hours as they 'search' for drugs/contraband. This is a ploy (I've been through it) to get you to pay money (a bribe) so they will let you go quickly.

I would suggest, bring them BUT be prepared to pay. One trick is to record all conversation on either a tape recorder (they hate you gathering evidence) or a camera.... BUT.... (yes another 'but') have two.... as they may confiscate one saying that it's 'illegal' or some **** like that. They're cunning buggers though... they probably won't ask for money straight out... YOU have to offer!!! No wonder the EU won't accept the country in.

I don't know if you know prices but you should be able to buy most here, or get them ordered in.... ANOTHER long, drawn out, frustrating problem. And of course, you'll get a pittance if you try to sell them before you come over. Maybe, if you're working for a company, they may be able to do something. If you're on your own.... GOOD LUCK!

Flying in by expensive freight may be an option but you still must go through customs.... and I can relate a story on THAT, TOO! Keep us posted.
Old 16th March 2013, 15:50

myheart2ukraine is on a distinguished road
Hi W1
Just read your post and all what RC wrote is much true.
If i was you i would turn in2 a Ukrainian guy and use thee old border buses `n do a bit of smuggling for your gear.
It might take you awhile 2 get or your stuff in2 Ukraine but what the heck better 2 try than just sit there and wait wait wait for you biggg import duty bill, well thats if you manage 2 get that? for going through all the right channels.
Start of with one bigg suitcase full of your gear if it get through then your a winner and a Ukrainian man 2boot 2!! aint myheart2ukraine coool `n very coool!! `n you lose the gear so-what your going 2 lose it anyways??
Once your gear here its not your`s ok but your wifes, who brought it through some middle-man from where-ever ok.
W1 STOP THINKING LIKE A FOREIGNER AND START THINKING LIKE A UKRAINIAN PRAVDA!!
myheart2ukraine just loves travelling with all them smugglers when he goes border hopping 2 Lublin / Warsaw `n back much
Old 6th May 2013, 10:28

woodstock1 is on a distinguished road
Hi again, took my first 'consignment' of tools over last week, in my suitcase through customs without question. Clearly the border guards were more interested in gossiping than working. Soon, I'll drive over from the UK to Odessa, with some heavier tools, and I'll keep you posted what happens!....Cheers..Si..
Old 6th May 2013, 19:11

Pitter Pen is on a distinguished road
Thanks. Good luck
Old 14th May 2013, 13:58

myheart2ukraine is on a distinguished road
Dobriden Woodstock1.... Super Smuggler!!

Remember 2 you might have 2 bribe the border guards with a few $$$ if they become stroppy at looking over your motor at the border (Pay Them) . Don`t go in2 Ukraine with an expensive motor 2, drive an old banger and dress poor for they much like a good Ukrainian laugh at any idiot foreigner do Ukrainian Border Guards PRAVDA!!
Good luck
myheart2ukraine
Old 17th May 2013, 13:16

rcshott is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by myheart2ukraine View Post
Dobriden Woodstock1.... Super Smuggler!!

Remember 2 you might have 2 bribe the border guards with a few $$$ if they become stroppy at looking over your motor at the border (Pay Them) . Don`t go in2 Ukraine with an expensive motor 2, drive an old banger and dress poor for they much like a good Ukrainian laugh at any idiot foreigner do Ukrainian Border Guards PRAVDA!!
Good luck
myheart2ukraine
Yeah, that seems the 'go' doesn't it. Not too keen on agreeing with the suggestion though. Encourages graft when really, it should be discouraged.

I've developed a way to slow the mongrels down by recording everything. You cannot take photos at the border but there appears to be no law in UKR against an actual voice recording that I can find. Also... ask "Do they take card?" because you have very little cash on you. AND NEVER GET UPSET no matter what they say... they'll make you wait even longer...