Go Back   Ukraine.com Discussion Forum > Society > Business

Notices

Black Sea Red Coral

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28th June 2007, 19:58

KWK23 is on a distinguished road
Black Sea Red Coral

Hi...I am not entirely sure if this should go here or in the travel forum, but why not start here. Anyone who has spent any time in the major seaside tourist destinations in and around Crimea has seen street vendors selling red coral. Does anyone know if this coral is native to the Ukrainian black sea coasts, or if it's imported from Turkey or other places? As sales go, is it unique to Crimea or is it found throughout the Black Sea cities, and does anyone know of any cities/regions/specific businesses where one can make larger scale/wholesale purchases of said coral?

Last, though in many ways it's the most important question -- though I was planning on buying some and doing some tests on some small quantities myself, does anyone know if it is common to treat the coral (dye, wax-inject, etc) to improve its looks, or for that matter is it ever entirely fake (i.e., plastic or ceramic made up to look like natural tumbled/polished coral)?

I'm extremely interested in this product and industry, and would enjoy talking to someone who has a bit of knowledge on the matter.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th June 2007, 18:35

thanks!

Thank you kindly! Actually, I've read/posted on this board quite a bit, especially a couple years ago, but I forgot that user name & don't use the email address from those days. However I'll properly re-introduce myself soon on the appropriate forum soon enough.

Y'know, on the topic of this thread, it's kind of drol, I still keep in touch with at least 12 Ukrainian friends, several of whom live in Odessa, another two in Nikolaev, yet none of them know anything about the coral industry except the fact that it is sold and is part of certain types of Ukrainian traditional dress. Other than that, nobody seems to know a thing, and I don't have the necklace I bought in Yalta any longer...if I did, I'd be doing tests on it right now (I'm a gemologist by trade...well sort of, I just finished my graduate studies).
Old 5th July 2007, 13:48

coral

Interesting! So...well let's use Yalta as an example, that's where I saw it first and saw the most -- the street vendors, especially those in major tourist gathering spots, will sell glossy, sometimes carved/sometimes with a semi-natural shape, strings of a orange red material, which when asked they identify as "corali." I've also read various write-ups of Ukrainian history and traditional garb, and said writings all referenced the use of coral beads as part of both male and female decorations.

Also, I checked the State Gemological Centre of Ukraine (State Gemological Centre of Ukraine), and though I can't get details, in their 'editions/publications' web page, (State Gemological Centre of Ukraine), the first title in the "books" area has a cover page showing a Ukrainian coral necklace. I've written said organization but haven't had a reply yet, but I hope to visit the gem centre when I go to Kiev this october.

Apart from that, I've only seen fleeting references here and there in travel guides, mostly only saying how much an American can purchase/import without a business license, but nothing about the more technical aspects of the organic gem.

Oh well, hopefully someone here will know something, if not...maybe I'll find an answer this October! I should also say that if it weren't for this research, I might not have learned that Ukraine is a source for top-quality Heliodor chrysoberyl!

Last edited by KWK23; 5th July 2007 at 14:03.