View Single Post
Old 25th January 2002, 22:47

hslowe
Good thread.

Hi there. I found this site and thread by doing an internet search on "Ukrainian men." I was seeking a deeper understanding of my boyfriend Vitaliy, but there just isn't much info out there on the topic of what Ukrainian men are like. So, to answer the original question, which is a very good one, I'll try to describe my experience having had two boyfriends (one still with me) and also five or so male friends from Ukraine. My comments are not to be taken generally because I don't know enough Ukrainians to say more than what I've observed in my own little circle.

What I've noticed about the Ukrainian men in my life:

--They are very masculine and sexy.
--They are hard workers.
--They are always late.
--They all know how to fix a car. No matter what their profession, they could be part-time mechanics on the side.
--They like to drink, a lot.
--They smoke like chimneys.
--They have great stamina in bed.
--Their friends are close friends...they don't really have "acquaintances" or casual buddies like American men do.
--They prefer to show rather than tell, i.e., they don't engage in verbal analysis of the relationship or their feelings toward you. Much is left unsaid.
--They treat a woman like a woman, paying her lots of respect and giving her the honor of endless toasts, frequent gifts of flowers, etc. They expect to pay for the date. But most of them also have a traditional view of women (we should cook, clean, etc., and we are left to talk amongst ourselves while the men go outside to smoke). So if you are a hardcore feminist, you may not enjoy dating a Ukrainian man.

These are a few of the things I've discovered so far. I've found I like my Ukrainian man very, very much. He is quite romantic but in an understated way that is different from the approach of American men. Vive la difference!