Thread: Lugansk
View Single Post
Old 18th January 2002, 21:10

Jasperthecat
Unhappy This sounds familar

Hi mindmaster, without wanting to become repetative on this point, I would be a little careful here. The girl I wrote to wrote lovely letters, replied to most of my questions, and seemed to do everything right as far as I could tell. In one letter she called me Anthony which is not my name- I put it down to a translation error as it never happened again. I however met her twice and find it impossible to believe she wrote these letters given the way she was both in Ukraine and here in the UK, and as I wrote before, discrepancies began to appear between what she said and what she had writen. I was in Kiev at the time, but there was a program on the BBC about how there are schools and books on what to write to Western men. I cannot comment on the program and it is not published on the BBC website to my knowledge, but one of my friends heard it and urged caution.I love books and she quoted from a variety of writers, yet when here, claimed never to have read them. OK so perhaps these are quotes that we all use to express our feelings, but I can only go by the person I met and I am still shocked by the differences. I know we all try and accentate our positive points and try and 'impress' the person we are writing to, it is human nature to want to do our best, but there is a fine line between this and just writing what you think that person expects form you with no real feeling for what you write. I can only compare this to my other pen friend who genuinely loves books, she has shown me photos of her visits to where her favourite writers lived and has tried to explain the mysteries of Bulgarkov to me, so I know she writes about what she loves. You can check the site recommended above- it is good, but there are those who are not 'out and out' scammers per se, more just see the opportunity for a few free holidays and lots of presents and relieve you of some cash along the way. I don't think there will vere be a sure fire way of knowing if the person is genuine for sure, you will only know when you meet them. I can email you the name of the woman I met (she has been on the internet again for some time, so I have since discovered !)At the end of the day there is only really one way to find out, just keep your mind open when you get there, and don't be affraid to excuse yourself, if the person turns out to be quite different from her letters. Sorry this is not of much use in your circumstances, but good luck whatever you decide.