View Single Post
Old 29th December 2013, 03:38

stepanstas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveMeFar View Post
Also, to the other two respondents, you make it sound like I picked the "all Ukrainian women knowing how to speak Russian" thing out of the sky and made it my assumption. I formed this opinion simply by talking to other Ukrainian women. My opinion on just about anything Ukrainian was formed in this way. If the language used to conduct most business in the South and the East of the country (getting that from Ukrainians and not my own opinion) is Russian, it just seems really odd that a woman from that region wouldn't speak it. That was my only point. As far as her just not wanting to speak it, do you have any idea why? I mean, when I do something odd, I usually have some kind of reasoning behind it.
Again, just making assumptions here, none of us truly know.

The language you speak largely depends on how you were raised, where you went to school, what you do for a living, etc. Yes, most Ukrainians understand basic Russian. We of course don't know her profession, if any (don't know her age).

My personal opinion is that she didn't want to. You ask why? Personally, I would find it offensive. Obviously your intentions are well but many Ukrainians get annoyed when you make such assumptions. Maybe she didn't want your relationship to be like that. If she can draw the line in the sand that it's a Ukrainian only relationship, she can probably retain her heritage/cultural preferences. If you assume she can speak Russian, by doing so with you, it would establish that she's okay with it and you wouldn't find it necessary to learn Ukrainian.

This would be extremely difficult for you to determine as you don't know either language, but did she struggle at all with Ukrainian? If she had any struggle with Ukrainian she could have been putting on a show. If she was fluent in Ukrainian she very well could have been raised all-Ukrainian and never found it necessary to learn Russian.

I for one don't care much for Russian or Polish. When people attempt it with me I can capture maybe 75% of what they say in basic conversation. If it gets any more technical, its a foreign language. For me its either Ukrainian or English, no in between. Partly because I wont understand, and party because the other person should make equal effort instead of just speaking in their native tongue.

Last edited by stepanstas; 30th December 2013 at 00:10.